Question

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 1 of 22 (9,642 Views)
Accepted Solution

"No Internet Connection Available"

Pavilion dm3t Product No. VB255AV Windows 7Updated 6/18 but reverted back to 6/13

In the last week I have lost my wireless connection to the internet via Comcast and a Netgear wireless router.  A friend's laptop computers find this internet connection. I am still connected via cable to the router on my desktop computer - that's how I'm sending this message.  Took my Notebook to my neighbor's house and found no connection to his WiFi.  Can't download a Norton removal tool as suggested to another forum member.

I have tried everything available in the way of troubleshooting.  Device manager says the Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi adapter and the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter are working properly and the drivers are said to be up to date.  I've disconnected and reconnected the modem and my other cable connected computer reconnects but not the Notebook.

This could be significant - a week ago I downloaded an Adobe Reader update and when I restarted I was unable to type in my password.  I was finally able to shut down my Notebook and restarted and it worked okay.  Some similar happened in the previous week - could not type in my password and had to crash shutdown.

Help - I need this computer for homebanking and other critical stuff that my desktop computer can't handle because it runs on Windows 2000.  This no internet connection message is driving me crazy.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 22 (9,635 Views)

Re: "No Internet Connection Available"

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Shutdown the notebook. Tap away at f8 as you start up to access Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select 'Safe Mode with Networking' and hit enter.  Let windows fully load in this mode and see if you can now access the internet - only choose a known 'safe site' such a Microsoft or HP as your security software will not be running while in this mode.  To exit Safe Mode, simply restart the notebook in the usual way and Windows will start normally.

Let me know the result.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 3 of 22 (9,623 Views)

David,

Did the scan as specified - no integrity issues.  Something different happened when I shutdown.  7 Windows updates were automatically loaded - how did it do this without a connection?

My computer does not have an f8 key so I pushed esc to get a startup menu and I was given 4 choices - F1, F9 etc but not F8 and I could not maneuver using my arrow keys to make a choice.  So I never got into safe mode.  The updates loaded. No internet connection again prevailed.

Would appreciate further advice on how to get into safe mode with no f8 key.  I did try pushing fand8 together but to no effect.

Joe Fox

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 22 (9,612 Views)

Hi,

Hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the System Configuration window, click the Boot tab, put a tick against Safe Boot and fill in the radio button next to Network, then click Apply to save this change.  Restart the notebook and you should boot staright in to Safe Mode - see if you can connect to the internet.

To exit this mode, hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the System Configuration window, click the Boot tab, remove the tick against Safe Boot and then click Apply to save this change.  Restart the notebook and Windows should boot normally.

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 5 of 22 (9,607 Views)

David,

Got into Safe Mode with Networking but still no connection. 

A thought:  when this first happened was right after Windows had loaded those 7 updates previously.  That why I had reverted to a 6/13 configuration.  Can it be that one of these updates is conflicting with something on my computer?  The only recent addition to my computer that affects networking is a program called Constant Guard from Xfinity/Comcast - so I have removed it.  Did this before the Safe Mode trial.

Thanks for the help.

Joe Fox

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 22 (9,603 Views)

Hi Joe,

Download and install the driver for your wireless adapter on the link below.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48501-49000/sp48755.exe

After the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

If you still have no connection, from the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Into the prompt, type the following commands, hitting enter after each command.  Include spaces in the commands where shown.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

When complete, type exit and hit enter, then restart the notebook and check connectivity again.

If you still have no connection, again click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Into the prompt, type the following command.

ipconfig /all                                     ( note that there is a space between ipconfig and the / )

Copy the results and paste them into Notepad, then copy and paste this information with your next post.  Also include details of all the Security Software installed on your notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 7 of 22 (9,588 Views)

David,

All the commands appeared to be successful except the last two but my Norton Security Suite has been trying to access the network every time I start up and I let it release and renew my IP settings.  Still no connection.

I could not copy the command prompt responses for ipconfig /all so I'll type it in here:

Windows IP Configuration:

Host Name                                                                                           JoeFox-laptop

Primary DNS Suffix                                                                                blank

Node Type                                                                                              Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled                                                                                No

WINS Proxy Enabled                                                                             No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State                                                                                            Media disconnected

Connection Specific DNS Suffix                                                            blank

Description                                                                                        Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Physical Address                                                                             12-1A-04-7F-84-88

DHCP Enabled                                                                                         Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled                                                                     Yes

Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State                                                                                            Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix                                                         blank

Description                                                                                     Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter

DHCP Enabled                                                                                        Yes

Autoconfiguratrion Enabled                                                                   Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{27DBE113-1E0C-43E7-A3E7-42FD91E3998C}:

Media State                                                                                          Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix                                                         blank

Description                                                                                     Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Physical Address                                                                             00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCPEnabled                                                                                         No

Autoconfiguration Enabled                                                                  Yes

Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State                                                                                      Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix                                                       blank

Description                                                                           Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address                                                                 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DNCP Enabled                                                                                      No

Autoconfiguration Enabled                                                                  Yes

Tunnel Adapter isatap.{0E0E1E1C-E836-4B57-8DA4-A7F653BDF59C}:

Media State                                                                                     Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix                                                       blank

Description                                                                                    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Physical Address                                                                00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCP Enabled                                                                                         No

Autoconfiguration Enabled                                                                    Yes

That's it.  As far as security - I have the standard Norton Suite provide by Comcast - firewall and virus scan, identity protection, PC Tuneup.

Joe Fox

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 22 (9,572 Views)

Hi Joe,

Open windows control Panel, open windows Mobility Centre - what is the status of the wireless adapter shown here?  If it shows as Off, can you click the button to turn it on or is it 'greyed out'?

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
JoeFox
Message 9 of 22 (9,565 Views)

Hi David,

We did it!  I couldn't find the Windows Mobility Centre but did find something about a wireless button, which needed to be turned blue.  I had no idea what the wireless button was but knew there was a button that turned blue next to my on switch.  It was yellow so I pushed it and it turned blue and immediately my internet connection was revived!  Don't know when I turned it off in all these proceedings but now I'm okay it seems.   Thanks for all your hard work - I've learned a lot about my computer from you.  What a relief!

Regards,

Joe

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 22 (9,562 Views)

Hi Joe,

You're welcome, I'm glad you've got it sorted out :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation