speeding up your internet connection in Windows 8 (7841 Views)
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 1 of 2 (7,841 Views)
Accepted Solution

speeding up your internet connection in Windows 8

I have seen many posts which mention users noticing a slower internet connection after moving to Windows 8 for both wired and wireless connections.

Many of these issues are due to drivers still being rolled out for the network cards.  However, there is a little more at play.  Windows 8 has many integrated features which constantly use the internet connection.  Specifically I am referring to many of the "live" applications on the Metro UI.  These include things such as pulling pictures from Facebook, updating news headlines, and weather updates.  To accomodate these features Microsoft allows Windows to reserve a percentage of the bandwidth for these features.

This is less noticable on faster broadband connections but can be significant on slower connections.  Here are a few things you can try to speed up the connection.

1.  Make sure you have the correct driver installed.

HP is planning to support most notebooks purchased after October 1, 2011.  You can check to see if HP has tested your notebook with Windows 8 by visiting this website

Currently many of the hardware manufacturers do not have drivers available.  However, the first step is to verify that there is not a specific driver available for your notebook's network hardware.  You will need to follow these instructions to locate your product number.  After you have your product number head over to HP's Support Site and see if there are any drivers available.  If so, install the proper driver.  If not, bookmark the page and check back periodically for updates.

2. Disable or lower the amount of reserved bandwidth.

As stated previously Windows 8 automatically reserves a percentage of the bandwidth for use with the "live applications" on the Metro UI.  First, you will want to access the "Run..." dialog box.  You can do this from either the desktop or Metro by pressing the Windows+X key combination and selecting "Run."  You will want to type "gpedit.msc" and press enter.  On the left hand side you will see "Computer Configuration;" expand this list by clicking the arrow to the left.  Once this section is expanded you will then select and expand the "Administrative Templates" section and then expand the "Network" section.  Finally you will see any entry labeled "QoS Packet Schedular," select this.   After selecting QoS Packet Scheduler you will see that the main portion of this window has been populated.  You will want to select "Limit Reservable Bandwidth."    You can either lower the percentage that is reserved or totally disable it from here.  This should help speed up the internet connection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 2 (7,840 Views)

Re: speeding up your internet connection in Windows 8

I hope this information is helpful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation