Question

Student
KevinBreslin
Message 1 of 2 (6,326 Views)

why can't i see my wireless n network

I have a Pavilion dv7 notebook with an Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN wireless adapter. I can't see my network's N SSID in the list of available networks. My work notebook (Dell Latitude) sees it and connects instantly, so I know it's there and working properly.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (6,317 Views)

Re: why can't i see my wireless n network

Hi Kevin,

You might have SSID broadcasting turned off (this is a good thing, actually).  The Dell may be able to see the network because it is set to connect "even if the network is not broadcasting its SSID name"

Check on the Dell to see what IT is doing to make it able to see the network.

Possible path to the information on the Dell:

Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Click on the current, active wireless Connection > Wireless Properties >>> Check Connection and Security Settings...

Try this:

Control Panel > icon view > Network and Sharing > Set up a new connection or network >

Manually connect to a wireless network > Next >

• On that page, enter all the information for the network, the name you assigned to your home network, maybe "MyAwesomeNetwork", "HomeOfficeSupreme" - WHATEVER you named the network when you set it up on the router...
  • Enter the security type, for modern network router, it may be WPA2- Personal ... Again, this is the type you set up on the router to control the network
  • The "Security Key" is the password you assigned to keep your home network safe from just anyone coming along and jumping onto your personal network.

CHECK "Start this connection automatically"

CHECK "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting"

Next > Select appropriate response to start using the connection

I hope this helps you connect to your wireless network.

Say “Thanks” for the Help!  Click the Kudos Star whenever you find a Post that helps you.

Mark the Post “Accepted Solution” to say the solution provided worked for you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation