Question

Student
resqdiver363
Message 1 of 8 (5,038 Views)

why does my network adapter constantly need to be reset?

I have an HP Pavilion g7-1260US.  Operating system is Windows 7 Home Edition.  I am connecting to the internet using wi-fi.  There are at times up to three other devices using the same wi-fi system however the majority of the time it is just mine.    I am constantly losing the internet connection and when I check it is says the network adapter needs to be reset.  None of the other devices using the wi-fi system are experieincing the same problem and they have all been used in exacty the same spot.  I have tried moving to other oareas of the house and the same thing happens.  I have also tried connecting to the internet in other buildings, using a different wi-fi connection and the same problem exists.  Is this a harware problem?  Is there something I can do to correct this problem.  It happens as many as 10 times an hour when using the internet.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (5,033 Views)

Re: why does my network adapter constantly need to be reset?

Hi:

What model wireless card do you have in the notebook?

The Realtek 8188CE WLAN card is known to frequently drop connections, and the only solution (for now) is to go into the advanced tab for the device in the device manager and change the setting from b/g/n to bg.

Hopefully, a driver update will fix the issue someday, but even the latest driver out there now doesn't help.

If you happen to have that card, here is the latest driver for it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-91945-1

Paul

Honor Student
ranchpa212
Message 3 of 8 (4,581 Views)

Might this solution also apply to a the Dual Stream 802.11n Wireless Card?  I have a new HP Pavillion Streamline with Windows 7 and am constantly having to reset the wireless connection. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (4,579 Views)

Hi:

I never heard of that model wireless adapter before, so I wouldn't know.

What I posted above works for that specific model wireless adapter.

You can look to see if yours has the same wireless mode setting and change it accordingly.

If it doesn't remedy the situation, then you can change it back.

Paul

Top Student
notherheather
Message 5 of 8 (4,562 Views)

This is similar to the drama going on with my Dv7!!!  Internet slows to a crawl, go to the Troubleshooter, it resets the network adapter and all is ok for a few minutes...

It's not disconnecting, it's just causing the internet to be slooooooow, for that machine and anything else on the network (WII, HTC phone, and another HP g7)

I do have the Aetheros thing, and have updated the driver.  didn't help.  

Please help?

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 6 of 8 (4,465 Views)

why does my network adapter constantly need to be reset?

Hi notherheather,

Please post your Product number (please don’t post your serial number).

I'll be able to send specific troubleshooting steps once I receive this information from you.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
ranchpa212
Message 7 of 8 (4,449 Views)

Thanks Paul?  Unfortunately, that setting difference had no noticeable effect.

Top Student
notherheather
Message 8 of 8 (4,433 Views)

(hanging head in shame) it looks like I missed a step in all my troubleshooting, spy/malware.  I updated and started running a cleaner and it all seems to be working.

(I'm blaming the political season, all that random clicking on random articles....)

Thanks for your responses!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation