wifi "unidentified network" local access only. no internet recognized. hp pavilion dv2700 w/ vista (3124 Views)
Student
SLC22
Message 1 of 5 (3,124 Views)

wifi "unidentified network" local access only. no internet recognized. hp pavilion dv2700 w/ vista

I have a 2008 Hp Pavilion dv2700 running Vista. I was using ATT mobility internet connected via USB while I was visiting a family member. When I returned home I uninstalled this. My laptop will no longer connect to any internet. I have tried Starbucks and such, and I have another computer using the same Linksys router. The problem is specifically my laptop. Wireless is on and recognized, the problem states "unidentified network" and claims local access. I am unable to get on the internet at all and even my IE icon has disappeared from the bottom of the screen. Tried loading Mozilla in case it was IE and this does not work either. I have done ipconfig, messed with my registry as I was instructed, nothing is working. Please help me figure this out. I do not know if there is some sort of internal internet card that needs replaced or what the deal is. I have considered installing Windows 7 but have heard that this does not solve the problem. Please let me know if additional information is needed. Thank you in advance!!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (3,120 Views)

Re: wifi "unidentified network" local access only. no internet recognized. hp pavilion dv2

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. Tap away at f8 as youstart up to access Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select 'Safe Mode with Networking' and hit enter.  Let windows fully load in this mode and see if you can now access the internet - only choose a known 'safe site' such a Microsoft or HP as your security software will not be running while in this mode.  To exit Safe Mode, simply restart the notebook in the usual way and Windows will start normally.

Let me know the result.  Also let me know what security software you have installed on the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
bigel001
Message 3 of 5 (2,575 Views)

Re: wifi "unidentified network" local access only. no internet recognized. hp pavilion dv2

My laptop has about the same problem, except it logs onto the "unidentified network" which is my home wireless router, but there is no internet access and the network icon below has a yellow exclamation point and triangle. It did the same thin exactly in safe mode. I have Norton 2012 and Window's Defender, only Norton running.

Honor Student
fossil2u
Message 4 of 5 (2,357 Views)

my similar problem was solved by updating the Atheros AR5007 network adapter.  You can check by going to Start.  Right click on Computer.  Click on Properties.  Click on Device Manager.  Expand Network Adapters.  If you see Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi Adapter, continue by going to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-82549-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Turn off any anti-virus and firewall protection (Norton, Macafee, etc.).  Click the link on the page for SP48070.exe .  It takes a minute.  Retry connecting to the network.

Honor Student
fossil2u
Message 5 of 5 (2,354 Views)

my similar problem was solved by updating the Atheros AR5007 network adapter. You can check by going to Start. Right click on Computer. Click on Properties. Click on Device Manager. Expand Network Adapters. If you see Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi Adapter, continue by going to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-82549-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en
Turn off any anti-virus and firewall protection (Norton, Macafee, etc.). Click the link on the page for SP48070.exe . It takes a minute. Retry connecting to the network.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation