Question

Student
jared4832
Message 1 of 3 (291 Views)

wireless icon won't open

I have an HP Envy TouchSmart m6 Sleekbook laptop that is only a month or so old.  I've been having some issues connecting to the internet with it lately.  It won't automatically connect to the internet, so then I go to click on the wireless icon on the bottom taskbar, and it won't open (wifi light is blue and on).  I go to control panel to try to connect to the networks, but none of the networks will display.  I'm at school, so there's always internet available no matter where I go!  Any help or suggestions?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 3 (263 Views)

Re: wireless icon won't open

[ Edited ]

jared4832 wrote:

I have an HP Envy TouchSmart m6 Sleekbook laptop that is only a month or so old.  I've been having some issues connecting to the internet with it lately.  It won't automatically connect to the internet, so then I go to click on the wireless icon on the bottom taskbar, and it won't open (wifi light is blue and on).  I go to control panel to try to connect to the networks, but none of the networks will display.  I'm at school, so there's always internet available no matter where I go!  Any help or suggestions?

Hello jared4832.

What is the product number for your notebook?  This document can show you where it is located.

What version of Windows are you using?

Has the wireless ever worked properly?  Does it work correctly when you're in an area that isn't your campus?

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Tutor
sujirou
Message 3 of 3 (253 Views)

Re: wireless icon won't open

[ Edited ]

do you have win 8?

try WINKEY + C --> settings --> change pc settings --> wireless --> check to make sure your "Wi-Fi" is on

otherwise uninstall/reinstall WLAN driver:

WINKEY + X --> click device manager --> under network adapters, look for anything that says "Wi-Fi" or "802.11 b/g/n" --> right click on it --> select UNINSTALL --> click OK to confirm --> restart your laptop --> wait for the notification ballon saying your driver being "re-installed" is completed --> try clicking on the wireless icon again & look for your own network.

hope this works :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation