Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
As I stated, regardless of the lengthy "try this"  reply your computer may be beyond the set "fix it date" and HP will not correct the problem.  This is a known problem to the motherboard and eventually will cause the wireless adapter to fail.  Playing with the on/off switch is one of the first solutions to the problem, but as you and other posts stated the wireless component is missing from the device manager and nework connections.  One cannot run the wireless utility because it no longer exists.  I hope this answers your question. Solutions: call HP and confirm you're out of warranty, then purchase a wireless card and put it into the expansion slot.  You may need to remove the remote control if it is housed there.  Finally, think twice about purchasing another HP in the future.   
Never buy HP products. They fail and the company does not stand by their warrany. Customer Careless is just that, they could careless.
HP Recommended
Regarding the issue with the motherboard being referred to here.

The wireless issue is do to a defective 
chip-set that was purchased from nevidia.  HP was not the only manufacture that purchased and used these defective chip-sets.  HP just happens to be the only manufacture that stepped up to the plate and struck a deal with nevidia to get the chip-set and mobo replaced.  HP pays for labor, shipping and most of the parts while nevidia kicks in for the new chip-set.  It was decided by some CEO's somewhere that if the symptoms did not occur in the first 2 years of the computers life than it didn't fall under the defect but rather into the realm of general failure.

Now the crappy part about this is that since they stepped up to the plate and tried to fix as many as they could 
truly afford to fix they get all the bad publicity while the other manufactures just point the finger somewhere else and ignore the problem yet nothing is being said about them.
HP Recommended
sparvik knows whats up.
HP Recommended

Your problem is the same as thousands of hp notebook owners are experiencing. Here is a link:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board?board.id=Internet

It is your motherboard. Unless it is replaced you will continue to have it. If you are out of warranty it will cost you $400.00.

It is cheaper to buy a usb adapter and go for a 802.11n as they are quicker. 

HP Recommended

My pavilion dv6000 experienced the same problem (system no longer recognizing the wireless card) about a year ago. HP extended the warranty and replaced the motherboard. The problem has just happened again. Do you think HP will fix it a second time?

I agree that it was good for HP to extend the warranties and pay for the fix, but on the other hand I think it's their responsibility. If they sell a system that has a defect, they should be responsible to fix it.

My system is a lemon. The hard drive failed within 2 months. The RAM failed the next month. The nvidia chipset problem occured a year later. Now it's happening again. I realize that a laptop isn't going to last forever, but I would appreciate some compensation for the problems and time that have happened.

Jeff

HP Recommended

any solutions on this yet?  my daughters tx1000 has had the problem from a couple of months after we got it.  i have purchased new cards and everything.

only the blue tooth shows up as enabled or disabled when putting the switch on or off... no WLAN to be found anywhere.  can't reinstall it nothing...

if anyone knows of a class action lawsuit forming, let me know so i can get this taken care of.

HP Recommended
No, HP will not help.  They do not stand behind their warranty and their CUSTOMER CARELESS with AWARD WINNING CUSTOMER SERVICE is as useless as a cup of hot water to quinch thirst on a blistering summer day.  I have a number of HP products, including the one experiencing the wireless issue.  However, over the summer a DV5 began to act up and a nightmare ensued.  If anyone is interested you can ask me and I'll post a detailed explanation.  I will never purchase HP products again.  I had to replace the DV5 which was less than a year old, under warranty, with a Sony.  It's an incredible machine with no issues.  HP does make a solid product, however, it's their people, or rather lack of people who really care about customer satisfaction which drove me away.  I'll pay a few dollars more for solid support and friendly knowledgeable service.
Never buy HP products. They fail and the company does not stand by their warrany. Customer Careless is just that, they could careless.
HP Recommended
Where did you find out that HP would honor the repairs for 2 years?  Tech support would not honor it. They said the repair period had expired, but it has not been 2 years.  I would like to get the statement in writing so I can send it to them.  It's like tech support is are not willing to honor it.
HP Recommended

HERE IS THE RIGHT SOLUTION. first i got this off another forum and cant find it now, but the poster deserves all the credit. The problem is from the power manager. the system runs on battery until critical power level is reached. the system then shuts down the wireless card to save power. but when you plug back in it wont turn the card power back on and system doesn't recognize the card. I don't know how to fix that exact problem, but this will return the power back to card.

• unplug power cord
  • let battery run down until critical power level shuts down computor.
  • push and hold power button for 30 seconds to drain residual power.
  • remove battery
  • turn wireless switch off (to the left)
  • plug computor back in (leaving out battery)
  • boot computor untill every thing loads.
  • turn wireless switch back on (to the right). You should now have a blue light.
  • reconnect to wireless location as before
  • You now have a good card with no battery in place and the battery is still drained. if you plug the battery back in now all the previous work is waisted and you have to start over. Don't put battery back in yet.
  • Click  start - shutdown - let computor shut down.
  • Close lid - leave plugged in - replace battery and let charge until battery charge light goes out. (middlw blue lightnig bolt)
  • Turn on normally card should work until next battery drain.

I don't have the time right now to try and solve what is causing the power manager to do this, but it should take HP no time to figure out. I'm sure they read this forum. But then they would loose all that repair business for replacing mother boards when it's not the problem.  Hp now has to step up to the plate.

prove they care about thier customers. this allready cost me and alot other the price of a new card, not to mention the people who have to send it back for repairs because they don't have the ability to fix. 

HP Recommended

The post I copied below - that came from above - worked perfectly for me.  My computer never had a failure until Christmas '09.  When I contacted HP, they said I didn't fall in the warranty window.  I filed a complaint with BBB because HP wanted to charge me $300 for the repair and $100 for a 1 year phone support subscription for a defect in their product. While the BBB complaint has not yet been resolved, this made mine start working again.  The main issue for me, now, is that my battery is bad and I need to order a new one.  As long as I leave the battery out, it works fine.....

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! bjrose and whomever figured this issue out!  I own LOTS of HP equipment - computers, printers, keyboards, mice, and test equipment.  I have been a very-long-time supporter of HP and their products, however, this situation has left me really reconsidering whether or not I will continue using HP product.

******************************************************************************************************************************

HERE IS THE RIGHT SOLUTION. first i got this off another forum and cant find it now, but the poster deserves all the credit. The problem is from the power manager. the system runs on battery until critical power level is reached. the system then shuts down the wireless card to save power. but when you plug back in it wont turn the card power back on and system doesn't recognize the card. I don't know how to fix that exact problem, but this will return the power back to card.

• unplug power cord
  • let battery run down until critical power level shuts down computor.
  • push and hold power button for 30 seconds to drain residual power.
  • remove battery
  • turn wireless switch off (to the left)
  • plug computor back in (leaving out battery)
  • boot computor untill every thing loads.
  • turn wireless switch back on (to the right). You should now have a blue light.
  • reconnect to wireless location as before
  • You now have a good card with no battery in place and the battery is still drained. if you plug the battery back in now all the previous work is waisted and you have to start over. Don't put battery back in yet.
  • Click  start - shutdown - let computor shut down.
  • Close lid - leave plugged in - replace battery and let charge until battery charge light goes out. (middlw blue lightnig bolt)
  • Turn on normally card should work until next battery drain.

I don't have the time right now to try and solve what is causing the power manager to do this, but it should take HP no time to figure out. I'm sure they read this forum. But then they would loose all that repair business for replacing mother boards when it's not the problem.  Hp now has to step up to the plate.

prove they care about thier customers. this allready cost me and alot other the price of a new card, not to mention the people who have to send it back for repairs because they don't have the ability to fix.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.