Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

still not working for me any ideas why it isn't.

I can't afford to pay for support.

I have an HP g60-235dx

I cannot get to the internet no matter which wireless network I go to. I downloaded the driver that you recommended and it did nothing.

Thanks

Nanette

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks for your thorough posting. I downloaded and installed the current driver as you suggested on my wife's HP2000 notebook with a Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n wireless adapter. I deleted the current driver before I installed the new one per the instructions. Alas, the problem is the same. She has had this computer since November and always had the problem, but we never took the time to figure out why. Today was a good day with some free time.

The computer wil always initially connect to the Linksys E4200 router, plus linksys RE1000 range extender, but eventually (2-5 minutes) loose the connection, even if the notebook is sitting 3 feet away from the router. The other 2 laptops in the house have no problems, EVER! One of them is a refurbished Compaq from Wal Mart. It is the reason my wife bought the HP. It is a $300.00 gem. But that is another story.

So is there a fix, or should I contact tech support. The HP is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rob Eller

El Cajon, CA 

HP Recommended

Hi, Rob:

I would contact HP Support and see if they will install a different model wireless card in your wife's notebook, or at least a replacement Atheros card.

The Atheros cards with the most issues with new routers are usually the 5006, 5007 and 5009's.

Before you contact HP, though you can try a couple things.

1. Try changing the broadcast channel from Auto, to 1 or 11 and see if that helps

2. Click on the advanced tab for the wireless card in the device manager and look at the advanced settings.

If it has a roaming setting, change that to low or none.

Make sure WMM is enabled.

Make sure the transmit power is set to max.

If the channel change doesn't help, or tweaking some of the advanced settings does nothing, I think you may have a hardware problem.

Best Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hey Paul,

Just below your post was another with a link to a driver that is about 5 months newer (January, 2012).

Tonight my wife will see if it works any different than normal. I tried the internet this afternoon and it seemed to work better. But she can make most technology fail when others can't.

I will try your suggestions if we are still unchanged.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

Rob

HP Recommended

Busykid508,

Success!!!! Thanks so much for your post and help. We have been fighting with this problem for some time and now the computer connects with the Linksys E4200 router with no problems or constant disconnects.

My wife couldn't be happier.

Thanks again for your clear and thorough post. Much appreciated.

Rob

El Cajon, CA

HP Recommended

I have a Presario CQ61 (Win 7) and the HP Support Assistant regularly checks and updates my drivers and regularly hangs when trying to update the Atheros Wirless WAN driver (I have one of the devices listed in this thread.) right at the end.

I have tried turning off the wireless button, switching off everything else on the network - but it still still hangs right at the end of the process.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, after many hours online with att u-verse they told me they would send out a tech and if it was my laptop and not them it would cost me $55.00 for service call.  Guess what I told them.  The new updated Atheros driver worked like a charm and didn't cost me a dime.

HP Recommended

Here is the newest version of Atheros WiFi Driver version 9.2.0.496 that I uploaded for those who want it.

Go to:   http://www.sendspace.com/file/hzap1c

And when the link opens, click on "Click here to start download from sendspace" to download the atheros driver v9.2.0.496.

There are 2 ways to install this driver.

The easiest way is to click the file that you downloaded and follow on-screen instructions with how to install the program.

The 2nd way is for those who cannot get the installer to work and follow directions below:

You must have either Winrar or 7Zip installed on your computer to unzip this file.

Create a Folder on your desktop and name it "Atheros" and copy the file "Atheros_wifi_9.2.0.496-allos" that you downloaded from the link above into this folder.

Unrar/Unzip the file "Atheros_wifi_9.2.0.496-allos" by right clicking on it and choose WINRAR/7ZIP > EXTRACT HERE.

Go to START MENU > RUN and type Device Manger and click OK

Device Manger will open.

Go to NETWORK ADAPTER and click on the drop down list and chose ATHEROS and right click on it and choose UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE

The Driver Update Window will open.

Next, click BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE

Next, click LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER

Next, Click HAVE DISK and HAVE DISK window opens

Next, click BROWSE and browse to the place on your hard drive where you unzipped/unrared the atheros file and find the file "netathrx" or "netathr" and install

FOUND AT the following location if you followed all steps above including name the folders:  Desktop\Atheros\Atheros\ndis6xWin7\netathrx or netathr

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the Atheros AR9285 802.11 b/g/n adapter. I´ve downloaded and run the suggested file. It still doesn´t work. There is a suggestion to remove the older driver, but I´m not sure which file it is. There is one called SW\setupsp42363.cva. Do you think it would be safe to remove it?

My notebook is dv6-1225so

HP Recommended

Hi

You uninstall the driver by clicking on the Atheros network device in the device manager, click on the driver tab, and select uninstall.

Then reboot the machine and install the driver from the link above. You should download it first before uninstallng, or you won't be able to connect to the internet to get it once it is uninstalled and you would need to download it from another PC and copy it to a flash drive and install from that.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.