AirPrint - how to use Apple's AirPrint solution on HP ePrint Printers (165768 Views)
PBF Student
Student
PBF
Message 21 of 211 (21,721 Views)

Re: AirPrint - how to use Apple's AirPrint solution on HP ePrint Printers

I purchased a new iPad about two weeks ago and then purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus AIO printer which I installed today. I connected the printer via a NETGEAR router that is and has been working with my iPad. I can't get the iPad to "see" the printer at all. My Dell 5 month old Inspiron works fine over the NETGEAR router with the new printer. What do I need to do to get the iPad to print wirelessly? I have looked up Airprint and followed your instructions but no luck.

Vanricker wrote:

Greetings,

Please see this link for information about how to use AirPrint with  HP ePrint products - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02623193&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Top Student
ssmith23
Message 22 of 211 (21,510 Views)

[ Edited ]

All,

Just got Airprint to work on my LAN connected HP OfficeJet 8500 printer!  And in theory this will work for other models as well...

IMG_0166.JPG

Installed the Airprint drivers as described on the webpage (link below) and it worked, after entering my windows logon password.  Hope this helps.    

IMG_0165.JPG

http://jaxov.com/2010/11/how-to-enable-airprint-service-on-windows/

Also a You Tube run down of the same information here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS8k-L380LE

Honor Student
nthev
Message 23 of 211 (21,446 Views)

Having recently had AirPrint suddenly stop working on my HP B110a from both an iPhone and iPad and tried everything to no avail. The printer was on the network, findable via the web browser but trying to print from iOS resulted in 'No Printer Found'. Turning on Internet Printing Protocol made the printer findable via AirPrint. HP really should indicate that turning IPP off also turns of AirPrint.

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 24 of 211 (21,430 Views)

Hello PBF,

Can you check if the Netgear router supports mDNS Bonjour?    The iPad / iPhone use Bonjour to discover the HP printer over the wireless network.   Same for Mac OS X,  a MacBook will also use Bonjour to discover the  HP printer on a wifi network.  if the Wifi router doesnt support Bonjour (mDNS), then the iPad will not be able to discover the printer.

I'm not clear on your description - you mention the iPad was working with your NETgear router, does that mean iPad was OK for the internet connection?   Bonjour is not used for internet browsing so the iPad may be fine on your network for web browsing, but Bonjour support is required for device (printer) discovery)

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
Student
Gidgette
Message 25 of 211 (21,398 Views)

I have HP 310a e-printer.  As instructed, went to setup (tool at top)--web-product updates--check for updates--then choose if need new update of if you have latest update--nothing to do--go back to home page,   Was very simple and easy to do.  Thanks for info.

Honor Student
dnightin
Message 26 of 211 (21,371 Views)

I have an hp photosmart c4780 which is not listed as compatible with airprint.  I have seen online solutions that will make a wireless printer work - any ideas?  I want to use it with my iPad 

Honor Student
rtwendel
Message 27 of 211 (21,337 Views)

How about firmware update for Macs?  No control panel.  I've snooped around and I don't see anyplace to check for updates.

So will updates update the Mac app?  Are there firmware updates for the device and if the device is connected to the internet will it check automatically?

Top Student
twinkeikis
Message 28 of 211 (21,319 Views)

I have the Officejet 8500 Pro A910

I actually still have bluetooth ON now, but I switch from 3G to WiFi.

Couple of things. I was having porblems with the printer-PERIOD. SO I completely reset (restarted/power cycled) ALL devices on the network (wireless): my 2 imacs and my macbook pro, the printer and the cisco valet + router and DSL modem.

I then DISCONNECTED my 8500 from the power strip/surge protector because I learned that it already has one BUILT IN, and I'm guessing by plugging it into another surge protector it will REDUCE power, which is probably not a good thing!!

I plugged the 8500 directly into the wall, powered everything back up, ensured the wireless network was back up and configured the printer to access the router again, and voila! No problems since!!

And I also made the imac that was furthest from the router completely wireless. Apparently my wife connected the ethernet cable at some point thinking it needed to be in there and that may have made the network ad hoc which for a home wireless network is completely unnecessary imo.

Top Student
stevebrinkhoff
Message 29 of 211 (21,058 Views)

I did the firmware update, and my iPhone still doesn't "see" a printer.  I solved the problem by installing an app called We Print on my Mac and the iPhone.  It's like $6.99 but solved the problem.  Documents are sent to the printer from the iPhone using the standard signal, not via wi-fi.

Student
bennyw
Message 30 of 211 (20,978 Views)

I have the same printer but when I try to send an email is says.... email rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation