Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Printer is connected to a home wireless network. Using the printer contorl panel set up it continues to say "update could not be downloaded". Hit Retry but always fails. Checked wirless connection and its working. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I understand you are having trouble getting web services to enable.
Follow these steps.

1. Open a internet browser type printer's IP address.
2. Should bring you to the printer's status page.
3. Select network tab at the top.
4. Left hand side select IPv4 under wireless.
5. Under DNS addressConfiguration select Manual DNS Server.
6. For Preferred enter 8.8.8.8
7. For Alternate enter 8.8.4.4
8. Select apply. You might get a warning saying this could interrupt connection that's fine.
9. Turn printer off for about 30 seconds then try again to access apps.

Let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended
I understand you are having trouble getting web services to enable.
Follow these steps.

1. Open a internet browser type printer's IP address.
5. Under DNS addressConfiguration select Manual DNS Server.
8. Select apply. You might get a warning saying this could interrupt connection that's fine.
9. Turn printer off for about 30 seconds then try again to access apps.

Let me know how it goes.
HP Recommended

Is there a problem b/c I have a Mac OSX (10.6.8)?

I have tried several times and installed twice already.

HP Recommended

@laur328

Are you having trouble printing from your computer?   Are you trying to enable web service and you are getting an error message?

HP Recommended

I am trying to enable web services, and yes, i can print from the computer, finally.

thanks.

laur328

HP Recommended

Try the steps below.  Let me know how it goes.

1. Open an internet browser type printer's IP address.

5. Under DNS address Configuration select Manual DNS Server.

9. Turn printer off for about 30 seconds then try again.

HP Recommended

ok, i just did it for the 3rd time... and same response. "could not be enabled".... am i supposed to somehow connect the printer to the internet? it is connected wirelessly to my desktop computer and printed a document from the internet, but I must be skipping some essential step. sorry to keep bugging you.

HP Recommended

I am here to answer questions so feel free to ask as many as you want.  Try to access a print app on the front panel of your printer do you get the same message?  What type of router do you have?  Check proxy settings also and make sure the boxes are empty.  Steps below.  

1. Open an internet browser type printer's IP address.

4. Left hand side select proxy settings.

5.  All boxes should be empty.

Try again to enable web services.  Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Same issue here on a refurb 6700 I just received today as a replacement for one I bought 3 months ago that started giving me Printer Failure errors about a week ago.

I have tried the steps in this thread several times and have also tried using a static IP on wireless as well as wired.

I was able to connect to Web Services on the printer with the failed head with no issue but cannot with its replacement.

What do you recommend?  

HP Recommended
Also...I have a Netgear WNR3500L router with the latest firmware V1.2.2.44_35.0.53NA.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.