Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

i am using the Asus RTAC66U router. How do I configure it so that I can use air print form my iso mobile devices? Currently, I am able to configure wireless printing from my iMac and pc laptop without problem. But unable to detect the printer (hp photosmart 5520e) from my iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Normally the main issue getting airprint to function has to do with something called multicasting being disabled, which means bonjour wont function. Since airprint uses bonjour to communicate it would have the symptom you see where it cannot find the printer.

In your case however the mac computer sees the printer, which uses bonjour as well, so that cant be the case. One issue i can see that might be the cause is the fact that your router is a dualband router, and both the ipad mini and iphone 5 happen to be capable of connecting to the 5ghz band, yet the printer isnt.

Since youre using what is a very high end router, I'm going to assume you probably have a fairly good knowledge of how to work with these devices, and should be able to follow whats below. If not you may have to get in touch with ASUS to help you out.

If you have separate SSIDs set up for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, make sure the ipad and iphone are connecting to the 2.4ghz network. If they are not separate SSIDs you may have to disable the 5ghz band to get airprint fully working. Most dual band routers do not fully bridge the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, and will give internet access to everyone, but not full network access to things like multicasting, or file sharing if devices are on separate bands.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Consistent with advice above:  I set up a pair of Asus RT-AC68U's in hybrid WDS mode; constant connection drop with HP LJ P1102W if the bridge band is 2.4GHz.  Flip it so bridge traffic is 5GHz reserving 2.4 GHz for local devices = no problemo.

HP Recommended

I am using the ASUS RT-AC68U (both 2.4ghz & 5ghz with same SSID-basicly on auto) and a HP Officejet 6700 connected wirelessly. Ever since I changed to this router I can't print with AirPrint from my iPhone though it sees the printer fine. I spoke with Apple and they said it's the printer. But HP lists it as being compatible. Then I emailed ASUS and they say they don't support it with my router but will try to update firmware.

I know some stuff about networking but I've never really used a Dual Band router and don't really get how I could configure this so AirPrint should work.

Any helpful links or explanations would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me nuts.

I found a work around just using Google Cloud Print. I save what I want to Google Drive then print from there but that is so annoying. Why can't Apple just use regualr wifi printing like everyone else!

HP Recommended

Eroctech - have you updated Asus firmware to ver. 3.0.0.4.376_1663 ?

Older versions:  have an issue with AirPrint on the 5Ghz band.

/kazyol

HP Recommended
Yup. That is my version of firmware. Doesn't work. Always get an error after it tries to send print job for a few secs. I just got an email from Asus support yesterday and they say it doesn't support AirPrint. They had my model # and firmware version.
HP Recommended

Yes, I see the snag persists.  Mine is transparent because I deployed the 5Ghz band to bridge another router.  On 2.4 band AirPrint works fine, "supported" or otherwise.

Suggest you read the following & post to RMerlin:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=16469

/kazyol

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.