Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Connection Error! The printer could not connect to the server !!!!!

Unable to configure eprint or update driver.Been on the forums for ever and do not understand what to do!!!!

I am connected successfully to my router, and can print from my pc and my ipad using airprint.

PC will not "find"the printer either for update purposes

Do I need to change the DNS . if so i have no idea what it is or how to do it !!

I went to the ip address but was unable to click on "wireless (802.11)" as recommended by a past forum answer,only the next one down "Status"

Can anyone help?

Very frustrated customer 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @roopuk

Thanks for getting back to me.  

At times the manual DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 just won't work within some users network setups.  Try the same steps as noted before, only this time use the following settings: 

Manual Preferred DNS Server: 209.244.0.3
Manual Alternate DNS Server: 209.244.0.4 

If you run into the same error as before, we may need to take our proverbial gloves off to try some more intensive troubleshooting.

What's happening is your router is allowing your printer one connection to enable wireless, but not a secondary connection to enable webservices.  In order to get these devices to 'shake hands' a second time, you may need to activate DMZ mode on your network via your router's embedded webserver.  HP doesn't typically handle this setup for its clientele as mistakes can lead to grievous network issues, but I can certainly post the info you'd need to pass onto your router company or ISP's support personnel so that they could assist you directly.

Here is the information that you need for your service provider to open ports on your router/modem. . .

- Multicasting needs to be turned on
- Bonjour enabled for AirPrint (relevant for iOS and Mac OS users)
- Mac filtering needs to be turned off
- Also make sure your router has current firmware update if
needed
- Turn on dmz mode on the router and enable it for the printers IP address:  ___________

Ports to open are : Eprint and Apps

Incoming Ports.

UDP
------------------
Outgoing Ports

TCP
-------------------
Once these are opened you should have no trouble connecting to the eprint web services on your device.

Let me know how this works out for you.  

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey @roopuk

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  :robothappy:

I understand you're unable to activate ePrint using your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer.  I would like to help.  I know how frustrating it is when all you want is your devices just to work.  I do have some suggestions that might help enable this feature for you.  

Thank you for confirming that you have an active wireless connection and that you have access to your printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS) - this will be integral in setting a manual DNS.  The "Wireless (802.11)" heading you're seeing in other posts is certainly relevant for other HP e-All-in-One Printers, but not yours in particular.  My colleague @happytohelp01 has posted a very clear depiction of setting a manual DNS for an ENVY 4500.  Click here to access that post and be sure to follow steps 1-7 as noted, clicking 'Apply' at the bottom of the page after you've entered the Manual Alternate DNS server.  

For the next step, you can use the EWS 'Webservices' tab to enable webservices/ePrint or enable from the printer's front panel by touching the ePrint.gif icon.  Touch OK to allow this feature to activate and also to allow for automatic printer updates.  

If you were able to complete the above-noted steps without issue, you will be ready to send your printer ePrint jobs. For more information on how to setup a custom ePrint address click here. Please click here for more information on how to use the HP ePrint app.  In its most basic iteration, you can send your printer ePrint jobs from any web-ready device by emailing content you want to print directly to your printer's @hpeprint.com address.  

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum and have a great day!  :robotvery-happy:

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi Thanks for your guidance .I have followed your advice and completed the first 7 steps written by your colleague. Unfortunatly it doesnt work!!  When i press apply it just says:

Invalid input.

Click "OK" to go back.

Can i send you a screen shot?

HP Recommended

Hi @roopuk

Thanks for getting back to me.  

At times the manual DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 just won't work within some users network setups.  Try the same steps as noted before, only this time use the following settings: 

Manual Preferred DNS Server: 209.244.0.3
Manual Alternate DNS Server: 209.244.0.4 

If you run into the same error as before, we may need to take our proverbial gloves off to try some more intensive troubleshooting.

What's happening is your router is allowing your printer one connection to enable wireless, but not a secondary connection to enable webservices.  In order to get these devices to 'shake hands' a second time, you may need to activate DMZ mode on your network via your router's embedded webserver.  HP doesn't typically handle this setup for its clientele as mistakes can lead to grievous network issues, but I can certainly post the info you'd need to pass onto your router company or ISP's support personnel so that they could assist you directly.

Here is the information that you need for your service provider to open ports on your router/modem. . .

- Multicasting needs to be turned on
- Bonjour enabled for AirPrint (relevant for iOS and Mac OS users)
- Mac filtering needs to be turned off
- Also make sure your router has current firmware update if
needed
- Turn on dmz mode on the router and enable it for the printers IP address:  ___________

Ports to open are : Eprint and Apps

Incoming Ports.

UDP
------------------
Outgoing Ports

TCP
-------------------
Once these are opened you should have no trouble connecting to the eprint web services on your device.

Let me know how this works out for you.  

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thx so much for your very clear help. Unfortunately the last DNS numbers didnt work either.

I will try and contact my router deliverer and tell them what you have said.

Onward we go :Wink:

Spoiler

HP Recommended

Hi E-roq

Thx for great support. i solved the problem with:

Turn on dmz mode on the router and enable it for the printers IP address:

That was all it needed. Yopu were very helpfull and very clear and concise,which helps no end to us non c folk .Thx :-))

HP Recommended

Have Windows 10 from 7 did not  transfer.  How do I make connection?

HP Recommended

Hi @Mary82

Which HP printer model do you have? Is it that you've upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, or vice versa? 

Please reply with details at your leisure. 

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

problem connecting to the server

HP Recommended

@wanja76 wrote:

problem connecting to the server

Here is a video that explains "How to ask the very best question": https://youtu.be/dVtafuGI7kI

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.