Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi.  Would really appreciate help on this.  I have a HP Officejet Pro 8600.  Working wirelessly.  All connections are fine, print & scan etc works fine.  However when i touch the screen on the printer, for example to click 'Apps', I get the following message:

' Connection Error.  The printer was unable to connect to the server.  Check your internet connection and try again.'

I don't understand why I am getting this message, nor how to resolve it.  The connection seems fine because I am printing and scanning wirelessly without an issue.

Can anyone help me on this?  Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hello,

The first thing I would do is follow step six in this document to set a static IP: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02817031
When it askes for DNS information, enter in Google's DNS. Preferred DNS = 8.8.8.8 Alt DNS = 8.8.4.4

If that does not help, if you could provide me with the following information it would help me out. First, who is your ISP( Internet Service Provider, i.e. Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, ect.)? Second, who is the maker of your router? Lastly, what is the model number and firmware version of your router?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Shane,

I have the same problem.  I have tried what you've recommended to the other guy...ie, static IP address, then the print and scan doctor...it also tells me that I have a "Driver error" but the reset did not fix that...it just sends me back to the hp customer care page...I have a linksys WRT54G V8 router...which I checked for firmware updates...no help there either. We use Shaw internet.   Please help...

Thanks,

Venessa

HP Recommended

If the HP Print and Scan Doctor says that you have a driver error, then you may need to uninstall and reinstall the printer's software.  I would suggest reinstalling from a download so you can make sure to get the most up to date drivers.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I had already tried that...same thing...the fax, scan and print functions all work...just the apps will not communicate with my computer?  Please help me with this glitch

HP Recommended

I know this will sound like it shouldn't work, but turn the printer off and back on, then try the apps again.  If that doesn't work, or you've tried it, turn off your router and your printer.  Turn your router back on, but leave the printer turned off.  Wait for the router to stabalize, about 1-2 minutes normally.  Turn the printer back on and try the apps.  If that doesn't work, let me know.

Signature
HP Recommended
Nope....that did not work either.
😞
HP Recommended

I just found out something that I think is odd, but it works sometimes.  Try printing a new ePrint instruction page.  I know it sounds weird and like they are not connected at all, but ePrint and the apps are directly connected and reprinting the page should refresh the internet connection between the apps and the, well, internet.

To reprint the instruction page:

1. Touch the ePrint button in the upper left corner of the touch screen.
  2. Touch 'Print Report'.

Once the instruction page has printed, try the apps again.

If that doesn't work, you may need to remove the web services.  Removing the web services will reset all of the ePrint settings, including your email address, on your printer, but removing and re-enabling may allow the apps to connect right.  Keep in mind that you cannot use the same ePrint email address for your printer for six months.

To remove the web services:

1. Touch the ePrint button in the upper left corner of the touch screen.
  2. Touch 'Settings'
  3. Touch 'Remove Web Services'
  4. Select okay.
  5. It should tell you Web Services has been removed.
  6. Touch teh ePrint button again.
  7. Follow the prompts to re-enable the web services.
  8. Once web services are re-enabled, try using the apps.

Let me know if it works or not.

Signature
HP Recommended
Hmmmm, funny....now I get a similar error from the eprint screen...says it cannot connect...wants a proxy...I can redo the e print via the computer and reset...think that may work?
HP Recommended

Try going to the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS) and check the proxy settings under the eprint tab.  There may be information in the proxy settings that does not need to be there.  Really if you're not behind a corporate firewall, there shouldn't be any information in the proxy settings.  That may be what is holding the whole thing up.  If there is information in the proxy settings, make sure every box is completely blank, and i'm talking not even spaces or zeros, and save/apply the settings.  Once the proxy information is cleared out, make sure to turn the printer off and back on before trying to enable the web services.

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.