Question

Honor Student
HappyHunt
Message 1 of 8 (4,853 Views)

Deskjet 2540 All-In-One

Hello

So I have an HP Pavillion Google Chrome Book, and today purchased this printer.  My Chrome Book does not have a CD drive (and is obviously not mac or windows anyway) so I am meant to go to www.hp.com/eprint/DJ2540 and follow the link to download.  But it doesnt work.  It is just constantly saying there was an error downloading, come back later or use the disk.  I cannot see any other way to download the software I need.  Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this to work?

With thanks

Charlotte

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 2 of 8 (4,817 Views)

Re: Deskjet 2540 All-In-One

Hi there, all Chromebooks use the Google Cloud Print service as the method of printing so it is not necessary to download printer specific drivers. Check out this link to learn how to connect your printer to the Google Cloud Print service. As your printer model is not ePrint enabled, scroll down the page to the "HP classic printers (non e-Print enabled)" section.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02817255&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=e...

Hope this information helps.

Best.

If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button on the left (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
HappyHunt
Message 3 of 8 (4,815 Views)

Thank you for replying - but my printer does not have a hpprint.com email address, and I cannot set one up because it has not been registered or installed or anything as far as I can see.  How do I get a hpprint.com email address for my device in this situation?

With thanks

Charlotte

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 4 of 8 (4,813 Views)

Hi Charlotte, your printer is not ePrint enabled so it does not have its won email address. You need to choose Classic Printer rather than web enabled printer. Follow this link and click the button on the left of the screen (Add Classic Printer), follow all the on screen instructions after that http://www.google.com/landing/cloudprint/?

Best

If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button on the left (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
HappyHunt
Message 5 of 8 (4,810 Views)

t is just sending me round in circles.  It does not give me the option to "sign in to google cloud print" to find the printer.  I go to your link, click add classic printer, follow the instructions by going to my advanced settings, and then scroll to google cloud print, it only gives me the option for "Open Google Cloud Print" (not "sign in" as illustrated in the instructions" - nb, yes I am signed into my google chrome account!) When I click on that link it sends me back to the page you link directs to below.  Just been round in cirlces cannot see a different way to do it.  Please advise.

With thanks

Charlotte

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 6 of 8 (4,805 Views)

Hi Charlotte, I'm sorry but I was mistaken in my earlier instructions to you. After looking into this a bit more I discovered that its not possible to print directly from a Google Chomrebook, even through Google Cloud Print. In order to print from a Chromebook you need to have a printer installed on another computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) and then add that printer to Google Cloud Print while logged into your Google account. The computer the printer is installed on must have the Chrome browser installed on it for you to add the printer to the Google Cloud Print service Here are a couple of links you might find helpful:

For a YouTube video tutorial on how to print from a Chromebook using Google Cloud Print 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ijOhaoI76c

For the official Google Chromebook printing support page https://support.google.com/chromebook/?hl=en-GB#topic=3399712

Hope this information helps.

Best

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
HappyHunt
Message 7 of 8 (4,801 Views)

I live on my own.  If I get a friend round and install the printer to google via their lap-top, and then they go home again taking their lap-top with them - will the printer still work then with my lap-top?!

This is very confusing.  There is nothing anywhere to say that this is the case, and it has taken three trys for you to advise the actual situation.  I would really like to resolve this as am now questioning if good idea to keep the chromebook if I can never print from it!

Charlotte

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 8 of 8 (4,798 Views)

Hi Charlotte, unfortunately the answer is no. The printer would need to be connected to the laptop its installed on and the laptop would need to be powered on any time you wanted to print to it.

Chromebooks are designed as "slimmed down" versions of regular laptops, primarily intended to work with cloud based servcies. Therefore they don't allow you to install standalone software such as printer drivers. If printing is a very important feature for you then you will need to either change your printer to a "Cloud Ready" printer or change the Chromebook to a conventional laptop/Macbook. Cloud Ready printers are capable of connecting directly to the internet without the need for them to be installed on a separate pc or laptop. Here is a link to a list of Cloud Ready printers as provided by Google http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers.html#info-hp

Sorry about all the confusion. 

Best.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation