Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I purchased a basic model hp2540 printer with wireless direct to send to my sons school to enable him to print from his ipad. It will never be connected to a network, or a wireless router, but is to be used as a standalone unit, print directly from the ipad. Worked easily at home like this straight out of the box. Sent it to school. The first thing they did, despite sending them written instructions was connect the printer to the school network, and now it no longer functions as a standalone unit and the wireless signal keeps failing. Can you please help me reset the printer to the factory settings so I can make it work again (and this time set it up at school myself!)
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Igglepiggle,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I see you are looking for a way to restore the Deskjet 2540 to a factory default. A restore of the network defaults will work just the same for what you would to do.

To restore the network defaults on the printer;

• Press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same time, and then hold them for 5 seconds.

The User Guide has the information in its original text.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

After an inkcartridge change my HP2540 thinks he is half way a scan. The scan detector under the glass plate wil shift to left and than right and stops in the middle. Than the warning light goes blinking.

I can print like normal. But no more scans or copies.

HP Print and Scan doctor says that there is a problem with the scanner and that the scan process has to be finished first.

The inkcartridge is a genuine HP301 cartridge and is regognized.

I tried already almost everything to fix it. Reinstalled everything. So far no succes.

The reason i think i need a factory reset is that, with no power on my pc, switched completely off, and no usb in the printer, i have the same startup of the printer with the scandetctor stop in the middle and the warning light goes blinking.

Pls help so i can scan and copy again.

Thanks.

PietvL

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. If you know how to solve it, please let me know!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Milenasn,

During an online chat with HP technician David, we found out that my scanner light did not work. So this could not be fixed unfortunatly. HP offered me a cashback voucher for 20% discount to buy a new hp2540. I did so, connected it with the same wires and that worked again as it did before.

Good luck!

PietvL

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.