Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey everybody,

I work in IT and have a client that recently purchased a HP Envy 4500 all-in-one. She called me to install it for her and I got it set up with no problems. After a few days she told me that her printer wouldn't scan. It was giving her this error message;

"Error. Cannot connect to Server. Check Server name and address."

She has this computer connected via USB and I have already reinstalled the driver and ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor with no success. I have tried a lot of other solutions that people have been posting with the same issue but none have worked. This has become a huge issue and I don't see HP trying to find a solution. If no soultion will fix this, then I will be returning this printer for her and getting something that works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

bbritt91

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi bbritt91,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I understand that you are getting a connection error message when trying to use the scan to email feature of your Envy 4500 printer.

To be able to use the scan to email feature the printer must be setup with web services which requires the printer to be connected to your wireless network with an active internet connection. I have included the Getting Started with ePrint document for reference.  

If the printer has been setup with a wireless connection, please set a manual IP address and manual DNS server for the printer. I have included a link to another post with the steps, including screen shots, on how to do this. Please don’t worry that the screen shots are for a Photosmart 7510, the steps are the same.

Please let me know how it goes.

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am having a similar issue as above.  I have the printer installed and connected wirelessly.   I am able to print without issue.  However when I try to Enable Web Services, I get the message that the printer could not connect to the server.  I tried the suggestion above, but got back a response of Invalid input.  Any other ideas??

HP Recommended

Hi @ddemars,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I understand that you received an error message when trying to set a manual IP address and manual DNS server for your Envy 4500 printer.

Would you please Print a Network Configuration Page and then let me know what the report says the values are for the following fields.

Network Address (IP):

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:

Preferred DNS Server:

Alternate DNS Server:

This will allow me to help determine why you received the invalid input message.

Thank you.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I tried again with the manual reset option and it accepted it this time.  I think maybe there was a service glitch in the wireless signal, that has been happening.

However even with the manual IP I am getting the same message when attempting to connect to Web Services.

Here are the numbers you requested with the automatic settings:

Network Address (IP):   10.250.85.22

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway: 10.250.254.1

(II did not see these headings, but there is Primary and Secondary.  Is that the same thing?)

Preferred DNS Server:  (Primary)  10.0.247.1

Alternate DNS Server: (Secondary) 10.0.247.2

After adjusting for the manual IP I have these settings:

Network Address (IP):  10.250.255.254

Subnet Mask:  255.255.0.0

Default Gateway:  10.250.254.1

Preferred DNS Server:  8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS Server:  8.8.4.4

Thanks again for any help you can offer 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @ddemars,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.  And yes, you are correct for the DNS servers for Primary and Secondary.

I think I see the issue. For the Manual Network Address (IP) you typed 10.250.255.254. Please try 10.250.254.254 instead and please leave the other fields as you typed them in your response.

Thanks!

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

This is a bit of an old post but I thought I'd help the next poor person who had a connection problem with their Envy 4500.   My printer had an IP from a previous router that wasn't in my new router's range so it wouldn't connect. The IP wouldn't go away no matter how many times I tried to troubleshoot and go through the connection wizard. I couldn't even access my printer's IP settings through its url. My symptons were that it wouldn't go online no matter what I tried. I also got a message that said it was not on the same network as my computer. I tweeted a knowlegeable person at HP who told me how to do a hard reset to remove the old IP and make it receptive to the new router. You can do a hard reset by simply holding down the  power button and unplugging for 30 sec.  When I plugged it back in I went through the utilites under "connect a new printer" and "changing usb connection to the wireless," I was thrilled to see it connect online.  After days of troubleshooting and researching, I finally was able to reset the printer to communicate with my router. I hope this helps someone. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.