Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just set up new Officejet4630 all in one.Using the wireless network wizzard.  How do I make the number panel input numbers instead of letters.  I put in my password - which is all numbers and the wizzard picks it up as letters.

Thank you,

Ro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi RoCryan,

Thank you for becoming a member of the HP Support community.  I understand that you are trying to enter your network passphrase into the wireless setup wizard to connect to your Officejet 4630.

When trying to enter a number you need to press the number the number your require. While looking at the front panel of the printer when you press a number that has corresponding letters you should get the option to choose which character you would like by pressing the same number until the character you require is highlighted. For example if you want a '3', when you press the '3' on the front panel of the printer the first character is a lower case 'd'; you would press the 3 until the 3 is highlighted (your options should be 'd', 'e', 'f', 'D', 'E', 'F' or '3').

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi RoCryan,

Thank you for becoming a member of the HP Support community.  I understand that you are trying to enter your network passphrase into the wireless setup wizard to connect to your Officejet 4630.

When trying to enter a number you need to press the number the number your require. While looking at the front panel of the printer when you press a number that has corresponding letters you should get the option to choose which character you would like by pressing the same number until the character you require is highlighted. For example if you want a '3', when you press the '3' on the front panel of the printer the first character is a lower case 'd'; you would press the 3 until the 3 is highlighted (your options should be 'd', 'e', 'f', 'D', 'E', 'F' or '3').

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

How do you get special characters?  My modem has a ? and a / in it

HP Recommended

Hi @kmerch78,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I gather that you would like to learn where to find the specialty characters that are used in your network password.

The characters that you are looking for can be found when pressing the key with the @ symbol on it. When you first press that symbol when entering the password you will see on your front panel a row of characters with the last box having “….”. When you press the key it will cycle through the characters that you see then move onto another line with another row of characters. Both the ? and the / can be found using that key.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

What about the exclamation mark "!"?

I can't seem to find how to type it in the printer keypad and I need it as part of the password to connect to the network.

Thanks!

-F

HP Recommended

Hi @SatoyoF

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I see that you are looking for where to find the exclamation mark when trying to enter your wireless network password using the Wireless Setup Wizard found on the front panel of your Officejet 4630 printer.

I checked the Officejet 4630 printer and you’re correct it is not an available character using the front panel of the printer. But don’t lose hope. Using the steps in Jon-W’s post titled How can I setup a Deskjet 3050a/J611 to my Chromebox?. Please start where he says “There is another alternative …”. Also the name of the network will have changed format; the network label no longer begins with ‘HP-Print’ but now begins with ‘DIRECT’.  Using this method allows you all the characters available on your keyboard.

Please let me know the outcome.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you!

That worked. And actually my router supports the WPS setup method as well which was easier to do than the other alternative of restoring the printer defaults and accessing the network configuration page of the printer with the browser.

Thanks again!

-F

HP Recommended

Thank you. I have spent half an hour trying to ener my password.

HP Recommended

I need to enter in an = sign in my wireless passcode. I tried to follow your advice and use the link in your previous response but couldn't find the 'Direct' network. Also, I'm unfamiliar with Chrome, so I'm unsure what they are actually talking about. Is there not some way to just enter an = sign into the passcode?

HP Recommended

How do I enter the "%" key that is in my office password for the wifi.  It seem that the # and * keys do not cycle to a % key

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.