Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My HP Officejet 6500A Plus printer was connected to my Wireless network and was connected for ePrint service; and, I had an email address to send prints to my printer. But today, when I go the ePrint Center, it shows that my Printer is NOT connected to SERVER!

It prompts me to go the menu option Setup/ Web Services Setup/ Display Email Address on the display panel on the printer. And, when I do that, it shows me: "You can connect the printer to the itenrnet through a proxy server, and to touch the button ENTER PROXY"!! I have no idea what Proxy server it is asking? And, when I enter soemthing, it then asks for a PORT Number! Again, I have no idea what is the Port!! My Printer is still connected to my home wireless network.

Then I went back to HP's ePrintCenter page and REMOVED my Printer and then tried to ADD a Printer, but, now it asks me to "Enter Print Code."

When I tried to enter the print code I had on file, it said that code was not valid; codes are ONLY good for 24 hours and I have to get a new print code by going back to the Printer Setup menu steps outlined above!

Looks like I am stuck in a vicious cycle!

I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To correct the unable to connect to web server error. I would start by power cycling the router and printer. If still getting the error I would then attempt to set a static DNS from the printer's embedded web server (EWS).

To power cycle the Router:

1. Unplug the router (most do not have a power button) and then power
off the printer using the power button
2. Wait 30 seconds
3. plug router back in, wait for it to be fully up and functioning.
4. Turn printer back on
5. After printer is fully up and functioning reattempt to connect to web services

If after that, you're still getting the error message, I would set the static DNS. To do that:
1. Get the IP address for the printer and pull up a browser (IE, Chrome, whatever browser you want) and enter
that printer's IP address in the address bar. This will bring up the SEWS
2. Look for the tab that is labeled Network and click on it
3. Then click IPv4 in the left column, wired/ wireless will depend on the connection, if connected by Ethernet
choose wired, of wireless choose wireless
4. When that page load look at the second part that is labeled "DNS Address Configuration" change that radio
button to manual and change the Manual Preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the Manual Alternative DNS to
8.8.4.4 and then click apply.
5. Pay careful attention the the next screen that appears that message usually is a way to undo changes just
made by clicking that "OK" button. Avoid that by clicking on another tab
or just leave it until ready to close it.
6. Power cycle the printer and then turn it back on
7. Once printer is back on and functioning, reattempt to enable web
services and reprint the info page so that you can get a new code and add your printer back to ePrint Center. You will have to create a new email address for the printer. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

To correct the unable to connect to web server error. I would start by power cycling the router and printer. If still getting the error I would then attempt to set a static DNS from the printer's embedded web server (EWS).

2. Wait 30 seconds
4. Turn printer back on
5. After printer is fully up and functioning reattempt to connect to web services

If after that, you're still getting the error message, I would set the static DNS. To do that:
1. Get the IP address for the printer and pull up a browser (IE, Chrome, whatever browser you want) and enter
3. Then click IPv4 in the left column, wired/ wireless will depend on the connection, if connected by Ethernet
4. When that page load look at the second part that is labeled "DNS Address Configuration" change that radio
button to manual and change the Manual Preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the Manual Alternative DNS to
5. Pay careful attention the the next screen that appears that message usually is a way to undo changes just
services and reprint the info page so that you can get a new code and add your printer back to ePrint Center. You will have to create a new email address for the printer. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

@Shirlzz1 wrote:

2. Wait 30 seconds
4. Turn printer back on

This manual DNS change did NOT solve the problem.  The 6500A was able to complete a wired connection a month ago, but I waited too long to 'claim' the printer.  When I tried, I was told the Claim Code expired, and steps to reattach to EWS were provided.  These did not help me reattach the printer to EWS either.  At least going to the IP address of the printer was instructive. Now I can scan images.   But no to EWS on my HP 6500A wired printer.

HP Recommended

This manual DNS change did not work for my HP 6500A

HP Recommended

This did not work for me either and the DNS is stuck on the numbers you provided in your post now I can't do anything at all with my printer!  At least I could print from another device before I tried your advice now I can't even use my printer.  

DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended
Have you tried to first turn off ePrint using the printer touchpad? I had similar problems after trying Shillzz suggestion. Eventually, I reset the proxy settings to default and was able to remove/revive the ePrint services on my HP 6500A. As I remember, this also included upgrading the firmware on the printer. That is downloaded from HP Support Reply in this forum thread if you are still having problems - HooperPC
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.