Question

Honor Student
petermpls
Message 1 of 12 (2,038 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 - Google Cloud Print

Hi,

I use google cloudprint to print my 8600 from my chromebook.  Within the cloudprint dialog, the settings always default to gray scale with 300 dpi.  I can't seem to find a way to change these defaults - I don't see any configuration information to change on HP Connected for my printer.

Also, even though printing goes fine, hp connected says that there is a problem with the printer.  When I click the link in the hp connected site to see what the problem is, I get the following message:

• An unspecified problem was reported. Please check your printer.

See printer front panel for information on resolving this condition

• An unspecified problem was reported. Please check your printer.

See printer front panel for information on resolving this condition

There is no information on the front panel that indicates an error of any kind.

At one point, I did a full factory reset to try to clear the issue, but it did not resolve the problem.

Student
Becket
Message 2 of 12 (2,016 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 - Google Cloud Print

Petermpls, 

I am having the same problem. While I do not use Google CloudPrint, the errors are the same. 

Per the hpconnected website, my 8600 is functional; however, I get the triangle and an error message. When I click the error message, it indicates to check the front panel. I check the front panel but there is no error message or resolution. 

I am waiting on a response from tech support. 

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 3 of 12 (1,958 Views)

I will do my best to help you with the error messages you get using Google Cloud Print in conjunction with the HPConnected website.   I understand you are getting an error message but does it still print from Google Cloud?  Also, can you send the printer an email and it still print?

I have been trying to keep up with the different error messages and this one seems to be associated with the printer going to sleep.  Sending it an email seems to wake it up.  Also, let me know if you have any other problems related to the network-connection as well please and I will be happy to help.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
petermpls
Message 4 of 12 (1,941 Views)

Hi,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Does it still print from Google Cloud?  Yes, although there are occasional errors and delays particularly for resolution greater than 300dpi.

Can you send the printer and email and have it print?  Yes, I am able to send an email to the printer and have it print.  Sending the email to the printer did not make the error go away.  

There are no error codes with error so I am unable to provide you with any detail.

Peter

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 5 of 12 (1,930 Views)

Thank you for answering my questions.  My main concern is the first time I tackled this, I assumed Google Print did not work and I did a lot of tests and could not recreate it.  I realized later that as long as you can print, I believe the error is associated with the printer just going to sleep.  Proving functionality lets me know that in this case, the error is irrelevant until it hinders your ability to print.  

I am definitely documenting this so I would like to ask you another question or two:  Does this issue pose any threats to your ability to work?  Do you have any concerns or something you would like to address?  If it doesn't interfere, would me telling you to "just ignore it" work as a solution for you?  I just want to make sure I completely get you taken care of and worried I may be missing something important so I thank you for your patience and for working with me on this.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 12 (1,914 Views)

I just wanted to update you and let you know that I am still investigating your error message.  I was able to recreate this on three different printers and all of them appeared to have some sort of problem.  One was having network-related issues and not allowing me to set a static IP, the other had a problem with the printhead, and the last one had a black ink cartridge at 25%.  When I changed the ink, the error went away.

If you don't mind checking for me please, I am curious to know if your printer might actually have some kind of problem.  Check ink levels, communication errors, or perhaps it just needs a firmware update.  Print a Printer Status Report from the Setup Menu (Print Reports) and let me know if you can find anything.

Current firmware version for the Officejet 8600 N911a: CLP1CN1322CR.  Line 7 of your status report will let you know if your firmware version is different than mine.  Let me know what you find out please.  

Honor Student
petermpls
Message 7 of 12 (1,911 Views)

Hi,

I ran a Printer Status report.  I am on the current Firmware version.  The ink levels are 75-80%.  

I also ran a wireless network test report.  All diagnostics came through OK.  Signal quality is stated as Very Good and Printer Settings are consistent with wireless router settings.  I use WPA-PSK for all devices on my wireless network including the printer.

Peter

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 12 (1,909 Views)

Thank you Peter for your valuable input on this currently unknown error.  I think this will be very useful in determining what is causing this to happen.  I am convinced it has to do with the printer going into sleep-mode but I am unable to confirm it yet.  

I will gladly keep you updated as I learn anything!  

Thank you again!

Student
Van610
Message 9 of 12 (1,035 Views)

I have the same issue. This printer was just set up this evening and the first time I went to hpconnected.com, the "Problem with printer" message came up. The printer had just finished printing an email, so it was not sleeping. I am not using Google Cloud, but all functions are working normally.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 10 of 12 (1,027 Views)

[ Edited ]

This "problem with printer" appears to be one of those things that doesn't seem to have a solution yet. Someone posted on this thread about changing the encryption type in the router to WPA2 and I think they were saying the error message went away but in all honesty I get the feeling since there isn't an actual problem with the printer, no progress has been made to fix this. :/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation