Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought the printer last night, registered, set it up with the apps on my phone and tablet, and have it connected wirelessly. When I try using any of the apps on screen it says "Server Connection Error: -1  There was a problem connecting to the server. Touch retry to connect again, or OK to exit.

I have a hp email address set up for the printing, and it works just fine, I just can't access any of the apps on the printer screen..

Anything I am missing?...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I will send you a private message to your inbox shortly on what to do from this point to try to correct issue that you are having with getting the printer to access the apps on your private network. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I would turn ePrint off and the back on, and then reattempt to access the apps. Then if that fails, I would power cycle the printer and router to make sure that they are synced up with each other. To turn ePrint on or off, access the web services menu and then scroll to you find that option and then turn the feature off and then back on.  After that task has been completed, attempt to access the apps.

If unsuccessful, the next procedure is to power cycle the router and printer.

1.     Unplug the power cord from the router ( most do not have an on/off switch)

2.     Power down the printer using the power button.

3.     Wait at least 30 seconds.

4.     Plug router back in and wait for it to be up and fully operating.

5.     Turn printer back on and once it finishes it start up process, check to make sure wireless is on and then reattempt to access the apps on the    printer.

HP Recommended

I tried both of the options listed. I have access to a few apps like the Disney and Nickelodeon ones. But most of the rest try to connect, and still show the same error, even when retrying to connect.  

HP Recommended

The next step that I would take is to set a static DNS  for the printer. To do that one will need to access the printer embedded web server (EWS). Take the printer's IP address and plug it into the address bar of a browser on the computer. Do not enter the IP in the search engine.  That should bring up the EWS. Proceed to do the following steps to set the static DNS

1.  On that screen, locate the tab titled Network.
  2.  In the column on the left choose Networking.
  3.  Select Network Address (IP), this will load the IP Address configuration page. Look at the second portion titled DNS Address Configuration.
  4.  Change the radio button to Manual DNS and enter to following information.\
  5. Set the Manual preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8 and set the manual alternative DNS to 8.8.4.4 and then click apply.
  6. Be careful not to click OK on the following message without reading. That is an offer to undo the changes that you just made on the EWS. 
  7. Power Cycle printer and then reattempt to access the Apps on the printer
HP Recommended

I followed the steps you outlined, and went back to verify I had accepted the changes without reverting them. There is still no connection showing when I attempt to use the on printer apps

HP Recommended

I would like to do a status check on a few items by asking for additional information before we proceed any further. Have you had success in setting up and sending an ePrint job to the printer's email address? Can you access any HP Apps from the printer? Do you still have the ability to access the Disney and Nickelodeon Apps? 

HP Recommended

I have been able to send print jobs from my computer, phone, and tablet perfectly.  I can access the disney "print now" option, but not the free subscription, same goes with Nickelodeon, paper planes,  and Dreamworks.  I have full access to Quick Forms, and access to the Savings app, but it can't connect when scanning the offers selected.

HP Recommended

I will send you a private message to your inbox shortly on what to do from this point to try to correct issue that you are having with getting the printer to access the apps on your private network. 

HP Recommended

its is a 5520hpphotosmart5520 light blins its new sys ink problem it say i say not app problem

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.