HP Photosmart 7510 black and white printing (12662 Views)
Student
KPurcell
Message 1 of 16 (12,662 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart 7510 black and white printing

How do I change from color to black and white printing?

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 16 (12,641 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7510 black and white printing

Hello KPurcell

You should find the option in Printer Prefferences under the features tab. The bottom left should state color options with a scroll down select grayscale there. The change the high quality to Black ink only.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Student
bamgraham66
Message 3 of 16 (12,554 Views)

How do I select black and white printing on a Mac?

Student
Fludium
Message 4 of 16 (12,469 Views)

This does not even show up in my dialog box. Even when i enter the advanced menu to set the grayscale options it still prints out in color...

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 5 of 16 (12,451 Views)

Hello Fludium

Depending on your printer software there are two different methods to set grayscale and black ink only.

1. Inside printer preferences you switch to the Features tab. Here you should see grayscale in the bottom left corner. Once grayscale is selected you may switch quality to black ink only. Then press ok.
  2. In printer preferences you click on the Advanced button. You should see a "Print in grayscale" option set to "Off" switch it to grayscale or black ink only and press ok.

As for with a Mac when you open the print dialog depending on the application there may be a link at the bottom left for the system print dialog. Here you should see a preset option. There is a fast draft black ink only preset. Save that preset and it should become the default option.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Honor Student
rholway
Message 6 of 16 (10,619 Views)

Please try solutions before posting them. As many have said, these options do not appear. (I have a full installation of a 7510 on an xp machine.)

Honor Student
rholway
Message 7 of 16 (10,616 Views)

[ Edited ]
  1. Inside printer [PRINTING?] preferences you switch to the Features tab. Here you should see grayscale in the bottom left corner. [NOT THERE] Once grayscale is selected you may switch quality to black ink only. Then press ok.
  2. In printer preferences you click on the Advanced button. You should see a "Print in grayscale" option set to "Off" switch it to grayscale or black ink only and press ok. [WAS SET TO BLACK INK ONLY. STILL PRINTING IN COLOR.]

THE *APPLICATION* HAS OPTIONS ON ITS PRINT MENU. CHANGING THESE FROM COLOR TO GREYSCALE DID THE TRICK.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 8 of 16 (10,581 Views)

1. If running software versions 22 and higher you can set the default print settings from Devices and Printers. Selecting it here should make it default for all applications, however, the applications may override these settings. Right click on your printer and go to Printing Preferences. Click on Advanced... and change the Print in Grayscale option.SetBlackInkOnlyWindows
  2. If running software versions 14 and lower you can set the default print settings from Devices and Printers. Selecting it here should make it default for all applications, however, the applications may override these settings. Right click on your printer and go to Printing Preferences. Go to the Features tab and at the bottom left you will see the options to set black ink only.BlackInkOnlyWindowsEx2
  3. Mac OSX open up print dialog. Below the Orientation option change the drop down from the name of the application to Paper Type/Quality. Then you can open the Color options and set Black Ink Only.BlackInkOnlyMac

Student
ferg0036
Message 9 of 16 (10,331 Views)

I was having the problem of my printer defaulting to using the photo black instead of the regular black. I followed the steps to print in greyscale and now all I get is blank pages. All of the color cartriges are low but the blank ink is full. WHY CAN I NOT PRINT A BLACK AND WHITE DOCUMENT? 

We bought this printer as opposed to others because we were told that we could continue to print even if one cartrige was out. I don't know what else to do to be able to get my printer to use the regular black ink cartrige. 

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 10 of 16 (10,299 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello ferg0036

Just to verify are you using the Photosmart 7510? Based on your post it sounds like you may have a problem with your black cartridge. Please follow the article below for troubleshooting the print of blank pages.

Printer Prints Blank Sheets of Paper

The Photosmart 7510 needs all cartridges installed in order to print. This is to ensure the health of the printhead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation