HP ePrint for Nokia Symbian does not work with latest Symbian Belle update (954 Views)
Top Student
rltrinkner
Message 1 of 11 (954 Views)

HP ePrint for Nokia Symbian does not work with latest Symbian Belle update

Hello,

The HP ePrint app for Symbian is (was) fantastic!  However, after Nokia's latest release of the Symbian Belle operating system ("Belle Refresh"), the HP ePrint app no longer can navigate the phone's file system to find files to print.

I know that I can use the printer's email address, but doing so does not scale my PDF documents to print fully on the page.  The ePrint app did that automatically and was faster to use.

I would greatly appreciate an updated version of the ePrint app for Symbian that is compatible with the Belle Refresh files system.

Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 11 (923 Views)

Re: HP ePrint for Nokia Symbian does not work with latest Symbian Belle update

Are you using the HP ePrint Home & Biz app?

Here is a link to it in the symbian store:

http://store.ovi.com/content/234157?clickSource=search&pos=1

There is also an option on that web page to see if your phone is compatible. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
rltrinkner
Message 3 of 11 (921 Views)

Thank you for your response. Yes, that is the app I am using, and I am using the latest version from the Nokia Store.  It used to work fine on my N8, using the Symbian Belle OS.  Now that Nokia has updated the OS to "Symbian Belle Refresh" last week, the app no longer works.  The app launches and properly displays its home screen. When I tap the "Documents" icon, the app only displays a few folders and is unable to navigate the file system to find documents. Even when I've placed documents in the folders that the app "sees"  when I first tap on "Documents," the app does not see them.

It seems to be a problem with the file system in the Belle Refresh OS.  I've read elsewhere that Nokia slightly changed it.  Perhaps the app's file system component needs to be updated.

Thanks!

Richard

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 11 (917 Views)

If the update was released within the last week or so, it might take a little bit of time for the app to be updated to work with the new file system. I would just keep checking to see if it gets updated. If I hear anything about an update myself, I'll reply back to this thread and let you know. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
rltrinkner
Message 5 of 11 (917 Views)

Excellent!  I've kept the app installed, so the Nokia Store app should indicate when an update is available.  I really like the app, and nearly chnaged my entire operating system back to the previous version just so this app would continue working!

Richard

Top Student
rltrinkner
Message 6 of 11 (840 Views)

It's been two months now... Do you know if HP will continue to support this ePrint app on Symbian?  The app was working great until the latest release of Symbian Belle ("Refresh").  I wouldn't think that a fix would be too difficult.  It just seems that the app needs to be able to navigate the Symbian Belle file system correctly.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 7 of 11 (826 Views)

HP ePrint for Nokia Symbian does not work with latest Symbian Belle update

@rltrinkner -- I will look into this on your behalf. It might take me some time. Look for private messages going forward.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Honor Student
satisfaction07
Message 8 of 11 (760 Views)

Hi,

I've also the same problem. Did you fix it?? Is there any chance to get out from this problem??

Top Student
rltrinkner
Message 9 of 11 (758 Views)

HP personal-messaged me to say that they do not foresee dedicating time to the Symbian platform.

I ended up downgrading my phone to Belle v.1 (not Belle Refresh) and the app works great.  You can get some of the functionality of Belle Refresh from Belle v.1 by installing the updated Music Player and the other app updates from Nokia. 

Downgrading Belle Refresh to Belle v.1 isn't trivial, though.  You need to reflash your phone to the most basic version of Anna, Scandinavian version, before you can upgrade from there to Belle. Key software tools you'll need are Navifirm and Phoenix. Both packages are freely availabe on the web. 

I'm not an expert in flashing, and this isn't the right forum for directions.  Search around if you'd like to revert to Belle v.1 to get this app to work. For me, HP's app is one I use often every day, so it justified the downgrade. 

Remember, you can always print to your printer via email, so this app isn't the only way to print to your HP printer from your phone.

Honor Student
satisfaction07
Message 10 of 11 (751 Views)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your information.  I agree with you, downgrade seems the only way. But unfortunately I'm not an expert of software. And the thing is that I bought the cell a few months ago so it's a little bit risky to downgrade because it may void the warranty. Anyway i'll consider the emai-printing. 

Thanks again for your kind information!..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation