Question

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 1 of 3 (27,513 Views)
Accepted Solution

How Can I Print from my Microsoft Surface Running Windows 8 RT?

[ Edited ]

How Can I Print from my Microsoft Surface Running Windows 8 RT?

Most new wireless printers won’t have a problem printing from the Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 RT.  All you should have to do for these printers is tell them to print and they will.  Older wireless, Ethernet, and USB printers might not have an officially supported driver in Windows 8 RT, but there is a way to get the printers working.  There are different requirements depending on how the printer is being connected to the Surface. 

Note:  All steps below are only for PhotoSmart, OfficeJet, DeskJet, and other HP Inkjet printers.  These steps are not for Laserjet printers or printers from other manufacturers.  These steps may not work for all Inkjet printers.  If these steps don’t work, try different drivers from the list until you find one that will work (you’ll understand what I mean once you follow the steps below).  If none of the drivers work, your printer will not work with the Surface.

For networked printers (wireless or Ethernet), all you need is either the Surface keyboard, or an external USB keyboard to connect to the Surface.  This just makes anything you have to type easier to type.  You will also need to have the Surface and the printer connected to the same network. 

1. Starting from the right edge, swipe your finger left on the Surface screen to bring up the Charms bar.
  2. Touch Search.
  3. Below the Search Box, touch Settings.
  4. In the search Box, type Devices and Printers.
  5. Touch Devices and Printers.
  6. Touch Add a Printer.
  7. Touch “My printer is not listed”.
  8. Select the TCP/IP option and touch Next.
  9. Enter the printer’s IP address and touch Next.  Note:  You can get this from the printer’s Network Configuration Page, or from your router’s DHCP list.
  10. The Surface will locate the printer and try to install it.  The install will fail and the Surface will ask you what you want to do, search the internet for the driver, or manually install the driver.  Choose to install the driver yourself.
  11. Touch “I want to choose from a list of drivers”.
  12. If no drivers appear in the list, make sure the box next to “Show compatible drivers” is not checked.
  13. Choose HP from the Manufacture list.
  14. Choose DeskJet PCL 3 Class Driver from the Drivers list.  If that driver doesn't work, try using the Photosmart PCL3 driver, or the Officejet PCL 3 driver.  (Thank you JonW for letting me know about these other alternates.:smileyhappy: )
  15. Touch Next.
  16. Touch Finish.
  17. Test printing.

For USB connected printers, you will need a USB cord to attach the printer to the computer.

1. Connect the printer to the computer via USB.
  2. Windows will try to find the drivers but will not be able to.
  3. Here Windows may ask you if you want to choose the driver to install.  If it does skip to step 14 below.
  4. Starting from the right edge, swipe your finger left on the Surface screen to bring up the Charms bar.
  5. Touch Search.
  6. Under the Search box, touch Settings.
  7. In the Search box, type Device Manager.
  8. Touch Device Manager.
  9. Touch View and select Show Hidden.
  10. Search for the printer in the Device Manager.  It should be under Other Devices with a yellow caution sign beside it.
  11. Select the printer from the list.
  12. Touch Action.
  13. Touch Update Driver, or Install whichever one it displays.
  14. The Surface will ask you what you want to do, search the internet for the driver, or manually install the driver.  Choose to install the driver yourself.
  15. Touch “I want to choose from a list of drivers”.
  16. If no drivers appear in the list, make sure the box next to “Show compatible drivers” is not checked.
  17. Choose HP from the Manufacture list.
  18. Choose DeskJet PCL 3 Class Driver from the Drivers list.  If that driver doesn't work, try using the Photosmart PCL3 driver, or the Officejet PCL 3 driver.  (Thank you JonW for letting me know about these other alternates.:smileyhappy: )
  19. Touch Next.
  20. Touch Finish.
  21. Test printing.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 3 (27,512 Views)

Re: How Can I Print from my Microsoft Surface Running Windows 8 RT?

Hope this helps.  :smileyhappy:

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Teacher
printerplz
Message 3 of 3 (20,941 Views)

Re: How Can I Print from my Microsoft Surface Running Windows 8 RT?

Thank you man this helped me out!

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own thoughts.
If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with Accept as Solution if it solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation