Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp deskjet 2540 all-in-one
Other
My printer is asking for a password which it hasn't before and I don't know how to access this. I do not have a computer only an iPad
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Janice28

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. I hope you enjoy your experience here.  :robothappy:

I understand you're being prompted for a password when using your HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer with your iPad.  I would like to assist you with this.

From what you're describing, it sounds like you're connecting your printer to the iPad via wireless direct and you're being prompted for the printer's wireless direct password.  Here's how to obtain the info you're looking for: 

How do I print from a mobile device with HP wireless direct?

Change your wireless network connection to the printer's HP wireless direct connection to print from your phone or tablet.
 NOTE:
The HP wireless direct connection is for printer use only. When you change the connection from your local network to your printer's HP wireless direct connection, you must reconnect to your local network after printing to access the Internet.
  1. On the printer control panel, touch the HP wireless direct icon (), or navigate to the Network Setup or Wireless Settings menu and touchWireless Direct, and then turn on the connection.
  2. To require a password (recommended) when connecting to the printer, select On or On with security. Note the security passcode, and then touch OK.
  3. On the mobile device, tap Settings > Wi-Fi, and then select HP-Print-xx-[your printer model name] from the list of available networks.
     NOTE:
    If the printer name does not display, you might be out of range of the HP wireless direct signal. Move your device and printer closer together.
    Figure : Example of Wi-Fi settings and the HP wireless direct printer selected on an Apple device
    Image: Example of Wi-Fi set to On and the HP wireless direct printer selected on an Apple device
  4. If prompted, type the security passcode from the printer control panel.
  5. Open the photo or document that you want to print, and then tap Print from the app menu or the action menu.
     NOTE:
    If the app does not support printing, install the HP ePrint mobile app from the Apple or Google Play store to print.
  6. Select your printer model from the list of available printers, and then tap Print.
  7. Reconnect the mobile device to your normal wireless network after the print job completes.

Source

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!  :robotvery-happy:

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey @Janice28

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. I hope you enjoy your experience here.  :robothappy:

I understand you're being prompted for a password when using your HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer with your iPad.  I would like to assist you with this.

From what you're describing, it sounds like you're connecting your printer to the iPad via wireless direct and you're being prompted for the printer's wireless direct password.  Here's how to obtain the info you're looking for: 

How do I print from a mobile device with HP wireless direct?

Change your wireless network connection to the printer's HP wireless direct connection to print from your phone or tablet.
 NOTE:
The HP wireless direct connection is for printer use only. When you change the connection from your local network to your printer's HP wireless direct connection, you must reconnect to your local network after printing to access the Internet.
  1. On the printer control panel, touch the HP wireless direct icon (), or navigate to the Network Setup or Wireless Settings menu and touchWireless Direct, and then turn on the connection.
  2. To require a password (recommended) when connecting to the printer, select On or On with security. Note the security passcode, and then touch OK.
  3. On the mobile device, tap Settings > Wi-Fi, and then select HP-Print-xx-[your printer model name] from the list of available networks.
     NOTE:
    If the printer name does not display, you might be out of range of the HP wireless direct signal. Move your device and printer closer together.
    Figure : Example of Wi-Fi settings and the HP wireless direct printer selected on an Apple device
    Image: Example of Wi-Fi set to On and the HP wireless direct printer selected on an Apple device
  4. If prompted, type the security passcode from the printer control panel.
  5. Open the photo or document that you want to print, and then tap Print from the app menu or the action menu.
     NOTE:
    If the app does not support printing, install the HP ePrint mobile app from the Apple or Google Play store to print.
  6. Select your printer model from the list of available printers, and then tap Print.
  7. Reconnect the mobile device to your normal wireless network after the print job completes.

Source

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!  :robotvery-happy:

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I do not know my password is there a way to reset it. I got a new Iphone and Ipad air and have the hp 2540 printer.

HP Recommended

Assuming you have no router to connect to an ISP, you must print out the Network Config sheet to see your password.

Print network configuration page.

The network configuration page will display the network
status, hostname, network name, and more.

Press the Wireless button and the Start Copy Black button from the printer control panel at the same time.

HP Recommended

My Ho desktop 2540 wireless printer will not print from Apple I pad. It is asking for a password with I do not have. How do I get one?

HP Recommended
Really? Did you not read the above????
HP Recommended

Hi ,I've tried your suggestion of pressing on the wireless and black print icon's and only received a few red arrows and blue squares and dashes! I'm trying to set up from my iPad. Please sent back instructions for a complete novice. Thank you

HP Recommended

Press the Wireless button and the Start Copy Black button from the printer control panel at the same time.

HP Recommended

Hi @Janice28

I know this post was a while back but just checking if it's now resolved and the post can be marked Solved?

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I need to reset my password

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.