Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

And as was the case with the HP JetDirect 2800W link, this printer aslo does not work with ePrint, depsite quite a lot of suggestions that it would. And, when I queried HP about what printers support ePrint, that site directed me to search for answers in the forum! In the forum?! So I think I pretty much have the HP business model down: build cheap products, include instruction manuals with information that may have nothing to do with the model you purchased, include physical charaterisitcs that imply it has certain capabilities when it may not, and then, offer virtually zero support and refer everyone to the "interent" to try and find a possible correct answer from hapless victims of this business model and or "HP Employees" who have no better articulation or specific knowledge about any one product than the lame 3rd grader instrcution models that came with the "equipment" in the first place. It's been a long and tiring educational process that has wasted countless hours of my time. It used to be you buy a product, the instruction manual was pertinent and related as well as articulate and you were off and running in minutes. Now it would appear, the only smart way to buy something like this, would be to drive somewhere where questions can be answered and the product demonstarted before you buy. If such a store was even 2 hours away, I would have been ahead of the game by now, AND I would have returned home with what i thought I was buying. Goodbye HP. Never again.

I invite everyone who has experienced this same schooling to join in and let your voices be heard.

HP Recommended

@Fixer2600 

To help clarify your confusion regarding the wirelss icon vs the HP Web Services icon, I have been able to locate to different m401 model printers and taken pictures of the control panels.

The document icon with the waving lines is located on the upper left corner on both control panels and used to connect your device to web services. Once connected, this will enable ePrint for the printer.  You will need to go into this menu, enable web services and then follow the instructions on the instruction sheet to enable ePrint.

This is what your control panel should look like as you have an "n" model printer - m401n:

Once you have enable web services and registered your printer in your HP Connected account, you will have an ePrint address on your printer. Follow the instructions printed out on the printer after you have accessed this menu and enable web services.

M401n.jpg

For wireless (your printer does not this capabity) as printers would have to have a "w" in the model number. For printers that have a wireless icon, located in the uppers left corner, the icon will be a bar with 2 (( )) on either side.  If this icon is solid blue, then the printer is connected to your network wireless. You will have had to connected via your SSID and input your password using the wireless wizard located under the wireless button (3 one from the left). Again, you can see the Web Services Icon as the first button on the left.

To have this wireless icon as printer will have to have the "w" in the model number.

m401dw.jpg 

Now going through all that and determining that your printer already does have ePrint capability but no wireless. Another option, if you do desire wireless is below (please keep in mind that I am not an epert with this option):

HP 1200w NFC/Wireless Mobile Print Accessory - HP 1200w NFC/Wireless Mobile Print Accessory

Hopefully, this has cleared up any confusion in this thread.

Auntie Em

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

I really don't why I keep being drawn in to these posts. I only waster more and more time and never make any progress....ever.  Maybe it's the optimist in me...

You soke to the location of the wireless icon as being in the upper left hand area of the control panel. Mine is in the lower right. I have no idea if that means anything. When I press it, an option for "Setup Menu" Under which it reads "HP Web Services". At this point, one is excited and believes he is on the right path at last. Press the "OK" button and the ONLY option is pressing ok to enable "Print Information Sheet". I do that and of course see NO set up or installation instructions. I go to HP to see what Printers are capable of ePrint and what is my answer? "Go to forum for answer"! Go to forum and list my model and ePrint and I see nothing but complaints of all kinds from people with this model but NOWHERE is any mention of whether or not this model is ePrint capable. I do eventually find some infomration that APPEARS to say that the printer must first be Web connected to enable ePrint and that makes sense, but that just leads me back again to the fact that this prinnter is not capable of being WEB CONNECTED unless a run an ethernet from it to my router which is two floors down and on the other side of the buidling!!!!!! 

I don't believe this printer IS capable of ePrint and my earier posts indicated that it was not but "may be in the future" as per HP itself and they further stated in response to questions about whether or not it ever will be, " We do not state what may be or not be in the future" or words to that effect.

At this point I'd normally say thank you for your time and for trying, eventhough I've just wasted another 30 minutes I'll never get back, but I am really done now, with HP and this forum and all things connected to HP. Today was just another shinning example of how lost they are and everyone who believes in them. Don't drink the Kool Aid!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.