Question

Honor Student
jeanie23
Message 1 of 8 (9,346 Views)

My new OfficeJet Pro 8600 is printing with black lines when using black ink only. What's the cause?

The entire page is filled with black vertical lines. It prints perfectly using color. What is the cause of this problem?

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 8 (9,323 Views)

Re: My new OfficeJet Pro 8600 is printing with black lines when using black ink only. What's the ca

Hi there jeanie23, 

I found this article that walks through troubleshooting a similar issue can you give these steps a try and let us know if it resolves the issue?

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Top Student
LyleFro
Message 3 of 8 (9,240 Views)

Re: My new OfficeJet Pro 8600 is printing with black lines when using black ink only. What's the ca

On 3/20/12, HP support just told me to remove any surge protector and plug it directly into the wall socket.  The printer supposedly has surge protection built in.

Top Student
LyleFro
Message 4 of 8 (9,239 Views)

On 3/20/12, HP support just told me to remove any surge protector and plug it directly into the wall socket. The printer supposedly has surge protection built in.
Student
frankgeddes
Message 5 of 8 (8,267 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600 is printing with black vertical lines

The OfficeJet Pro 8600 just staarted printing with vertical black lines obscuring some of the print.  How do I fix this.

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 6 of 8 (8,265 Views)

My new OfficeJet Pro 8600 is printing with black lines when using black ink only. What's the cause?

frankgeddes,

This article covers print quality issues like the one you describe. Give the steps a shot and let me know the results:
http://goo.gl/iVzp9

Best of Luck!
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Student
charloga
Message 7 of 8 (6,515 Views)

This worked for me...thanks!

Student
sir_rob
Message 8 of 8 (5,710 Views)

I have been plagued by this problem since I first bought this printer!  It works properly except that whenever I want to make a black and white copy(for some reason color copies are unaffected) there are a lot of thick black bands or lines throughout the entire page.  The problem usually occurs when the printer has been on for more than 16 hours or so.  The only thing that fixes it is restarting the printer.  Sometimes I have to remove the power cord for 10 seconds as well.  I do not have it plugged into a surge protector.  Apparently surge protectors can cause problems with this finicky printer.

Here is a very dumb workaround to fix this defect:

• Use the built in timer to turn the printer off every night and then back on a few minutes later.  I use this printer on a network, so it needs to be left on all of the time.  I suppose that you could use an electrical timer because using the built in scheduler disables some features.  The printer will warn you that it was not shut down properly, but then again the printer doesn’t copy properly either.  I really do not like this work around because it also uses more ink.

We are not the only ones to have this problem.  Just do an internet search to see how common it is.  I really wanted to like this printer, but it just may drive me back to the competition – and yes, I have gone through HP’s pages of suggestions to fix the problem that includes recommending that I buy HP paper and HP ink, cleaning the glass, and wiping the rollers.  If the problem does not happen with color copies but it does with block only copies, the problem is with the programming of the printer itself and not with the brand of paper being used.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation