Question

Intern
kteirvine
Message 1 of 27 (2,319 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scanner Actions & Printer Preference sections missing from Solutions Center

[ Edited ]

I have just bought a Photosmart 6510 e All-in-one. I had no problem setting it up on my laptop and easily set it up on an old desktop PC. However I noticed in the HP Solutions Centre on the laptop that two sections are missing from this - 'Scanner Actions' and 'Printer Preferences'. The only sections appearing on the laptop's page are Web connected solutions, Shopping resources, Help & Support and Privacy Disclosures. However the missing sections both appear on my desktop PC's Solutions Center. How can I get them to appear on the laptop's Solutions Center?

The Solutions Center I am referring to is the page that appears when I click on All Programs/ HP/ HP Photosmart 6510 Series/ HP Photosmart 6510 Series or the printer icon.

Desktop PC -  Windows 7 Professional (32 Bit)

Laptop - Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

EDIT: I have completely rewritten this post, including the title as I was using the wrong terminology so hopefully it now makes more sense and I can get an answer to my problem. Maybe even an expert one!

Apologies in advance to moderators if I have done the wrong thing by rewriting this, sorry.

Master's Graduate
mtbaughs
Message 2 of 27 (2,285 Views)

Re: Scanner Actions & Printer Preference sections missing from Solutions Center

Hi,

To clarify, HP solution center is utilized on prior models. The software title our newest models use when accessing via All Programs/ HP/ HP Photosmart 6510 Series/ HP Photosmart 6510 Series or the printer icon or the desktop icon is simply 'HP software'.

First run the following utility and let me know what results you have

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=oj-96506-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

Make sure you have installed the printer with the latest software - a quick uninstall - All Programs/ HP/ HP Photosmart 6510 Series/ HP Photosmart 6510 Series- uninstall and reinstall using the link below will insure this

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-100190-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

Do you have any anti-virus or 3rd party firewalls on the notebook? If so, what type and version info.

thanks!

I was an HP employee

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.
Master's Graduate
mtbaughs
Message 3 of 27 (2,274 Views)

If you see a prompt during software installation to check or uncheck scan to computer make sure it is checked as well

I was an HP employee

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.
Intern
kteirvine
Message 4 of 27 (2,273 Views)

[ Edited ]

Apologies for wrong terminology re calling this area as the HP Solutions Center. The screen actually doesn't have a name so I didn't know what else to call it.

As per your instructions I completed first action and there were no issues found.

I then completed second action and there it made no difference. I still don't have the scanner actions or print preferences menus. When I uninstalled the driver the dialogue said the basic driver was being uninstalled. When i then reinstalled the (full) driver it still said that the basic driver was being installed!

I don't get a prompt during software installation to check or uncheck scan to computer. i had a look at my firewall and all files starting with HP are accepted.

I use Winows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus. I also have another sort of anti-virus/ anti-fraud thing related to my online banking called Previx. I could disable or uninstall thisprogramme if necessary, as it is just a nice to have rather than essential. I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Hoping you will be able to help.

Master's Graduate
mtbaughs
Message 5 of 27 (2,266 Views)

" Winows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus. I also have another sort of anti-virus/ anti-fraud thing related to my online banking called Previx. I could disable or uninstall thisprogramme if necessary, as it is just a nice to have rather than essential. I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware."

Which of the above programs are also used on the desktop? All of them?

I was an HP employee

Intern
kteirvine
Message 6 of 27 (2,264 Views)

They are all running on my laptop

Master's Graduate
mtbaughs
Message 7 of 27 (2,262 Views)

[ Edited ]

So both computers have the same firewalls and anti virus programs installed? Sorry I just want to be clear on that

I was an HP employee

Intern
kteirvine
Message 8 of 27 (2,253 Views)

Apologies mtbaughs, I missed your reference to the desktop. The desktop is rarely used as it is very slow and on its way out which is why I need to get the laptop & printer set up properly. It is not therefore a mirror image of the laptop, which is only a year old with a very high spec and is used on a daily basis.

On the desktop I am running Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus and also Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The desktop DOES NOT have Prevx installed on it.

I will therefore uninstall Prevx from the laptop to see if that makes a difference to whatever it is that you call the printer control software. If not then I will uninstall and reinstall the drivers as previous. I will then report back on this post.

Master's Graduate
mtbaughs
Message 9 of 27 (2,250 Views)

Perfect, uninstall Prevx and than open the HP software and see if those options appear. If not, uninstall the HP software and reinstall. See if those options appear. If not go ahead and reinstall prevx as we've ruled that out. Sorry for the additional work but I'm trying to narrow things down through the process of elimination.

I was an HP employee

Intern
kteirvine
Message 10 of 27 (2,244 Views)

Hi mtbaughs. I uninstalled Prevx from my laptop, rebooted, then uninstalled and reinstalled the HP driver, then rebooted again. Unfortunately this made no difference. I still don't have the scanner actions and printer preferences sections in the Printer Panel on my laptop.

Incidentally, one thing that did appear on my desktop was the link to the ePrinter Center which hadn't before. Previously I had just had to send a shortcut from when I was on the Internet,

Can I ask, are you based in the US or the UK? Since I am in the UK it is now midnight so I am logging off now. If you have any more suggestions I would appreciate your response. Many thanks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation