Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520

Hi. 

My printer is saying that there is no computer found and that I should make sure the software is downloaded and that 'scan to computer' is enabled. I have the comuputer plugged into the printer by a usb cable and neither the computer nor the printer can 'find' each other. I am unable to find where to open the settings for this since I accidentally deleted all the icons on my desktop. Each time I go into the folder labeled HP-> Hpphotosmart 5520 ->Bin, I get no help whatsoever. I do not know how to fix this, even though my scanner worked just fine a week ago.  I think my operating system is somewhere along the lines of Windows 8. Every time I try to open the program labeled HPScanDisco, it does not run, even though I've tried running it as an administrator as well as regularly. 

Any idea how to help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Penwyn

Welcome to the HP Support Forum.  I hope you enjoy your experience here.

I see that you're unable to scan to PC using your HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer due to some software setup issues.  I would like to assist you with this.  

For starters, I recommend you run Microsoft Fix it (click here to install).  You can use this utility to remove your printer's old software.  Note that this program says it's only good for Windows 7, but I've tested it on an 8 machine and it worked fine.  

Once that's complete, click here to re-install your printer.  If you're finding the computer's not recognizing your printer, try a different USB port.  

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Have a great day!   

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @Penwyn

Welcome to the HP Support Forum.  I hope you enjoy your experience here.

I see that you're unable to scan to PC using your HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer due to some software setup issues.  I would like to assist you with this.  

For starters, I recommend you run Microsoft Fix it (click here to install).  You can use this utility to remove your printer's old software.  Note that this program says it's only good for Windows 7, but I've tested it on an 8 machine and it worked fine.  

Once that's complete, click here to re-install your printer.  If you're finding the computer's not recognizing your printer, try a different USB port.  

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Have a great day!   

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! My scanner is working perfectly over the wifi and USB cable now. You have been a really great help! Thank you thank you thank you!

HP Recommended

Helo E-roq,

I have the same problem but than with my IMAC

I am afraid to uninstall tha hp software and reinstalling the printer. If it does not work i am stuck again. printer works fine only not the scanner.

Thanx

HP Recommended

This has not worked and uninstalling printer and reinstalling it has made things worse as I have now lost the icon linking to scaanning app.  This is our first HP printer and it will definitely be our last.  (I say first, but that one died after 6 months and the shop had to replace it)

HP Recommended

Hey @Kgunwin

Which HP printer model are you working with? Are you scanning via Mac or PC? What version of operating system are you running? 

Please reply with details and I'll be sure to assist. 

Thanks, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

My printer is an Officejet Pro 8600 Plus and I am operating from my PC on windows 8. (Works OK from my husband's window 7) I now have to use the all-in-one printer remote.  It worked fine before this software was inroduced.  Got it working yesterday but only by plugging it directly into the printer.  Wizard says there are faults in the program but nothing more.  Was not impressed with scanner when it worked previous software was much better.  Is there any way to get old software back?

HP Recommended

Hi @Kgunwin

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I recommend you try the following steps: 

Remove temp files from your PC:

• Press Windows key + r
  • Type %temp% and press Enter
  • Press Ctrl + a to select all files
  • Press Delete
  • Note that some files may not allow for deletion - not to worry, this is normal. Just click skip as prompted.
  • Empty your Recycle Bin upon completion.

Next, uninstall the printer from your PC:

• Press Windows key + r
  • Type control panel and press Enter
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Locate the 8600 driver and click 'Uninstall'

When the uninstall's finished ensure that your printer's connected to wireless (if you're a wireless user). Touch the wireless icon on the front display and check for a connection. If you're not connected, run the wireless setup wizard to reconnect. It's also important to make sure that Wireless Direct is turned off. 

With connectivity assured, click here to install the HP Printer Install Wizard. Follow the prompts and use this utility to choose the latest driver for your printer. It should guide you through the setup. If all goes well you'll have a new 8600 icon on your PC desktop. You can use that to open the Printer Assistant and scan to PC with HP software. 

Even though it's geared towards Windows 7 users, you may also find this article from HP useful. It provides four ways to scan to PC without using HP software. For instance, you can also scan with Paint, Windows Fax and Scan, Windows Live Photo Gallery, and via the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS). 

Let me know if these suggestions are helpful. If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to say "You rock!" by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 

Have a great day, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I give up .  I have spent too much time on this already.  The only solution appears to be to plug my laptop directly into the printer and then use paint to edit it.  Shame as I could use printer remotely before this app was introduced, big step backwards really.  i have noticed hudreds of people have complained about the app.  Think Hp should come up with some new scanning software and junk this rubbish app.

HP Recommended

Hi @Kgunwin

If you ever upgrade to Windows 10 you could try the HP Scan and Capture app. You can download it here

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.