Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am using an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus on an HP Pavilion HPE computer running 64 bit Windows 7. It has done this ever since I started using the new printer about 10 days ago.

Is there any fix for this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have found something that seems to work.  At the end of this process you will be asked to reboot your computer, so probably best to do this when you are not under deadlines and/or with multiple programs open.  

You need the HP Officce Jet Pro 8600 installation disk to do this.   Insert the disk in your BlueRay/DVD/CD drive and be sure it is active.

Then go to Control Panel>Programs and Features.  Find "HP Officejet Pro 8600Basic Device Software".   RIGHT CLICK on the program.  A context menu for Uninstall, Change, Repair will appear.  Left click on "Repair".  The program took about 5 seconds on my 3770K.  

After the repair program runs it asks to reboot the computer for the changes to take effect, either now or later. 

I tested the repair by printing several Word 2010 files that had been printing an extra page about 10 seconds after the print was completed.  I tested as Print Current Page, Print Selection, Print, Print All Pages, Print Custom Range.  It seems to have fixed the problem.

I hope this helps everybody.

HP-Why isn't this feature made VERY accessible?  I stumbled upon it when I was trying anything and everything to fix this proglem.   I'm sure it is buried somewhere in the documentation, but I didn't run into it. 

View solution in original post

105 REPLIES 105
HP Recommended

Mine does the same thing!! It prints each page fine but after the last page it pauses then slowly spits out another blank page!! It's driving me crazy!! It seems like the printer catches the next sheet after the last page and is spitting it out to clear up the rollers inside.

HP Recommended

Does it print this extra page from any source? Specifically, does it only do it from Word, or a specific program?

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

It does not do it if I print a test page from the printer itself. If I print from Excel it does spit out the blank page every time. I just tried to print with Microsoft Word and the error did not manifest, so I must be related to Excel.

HP Recommended

The problem happens only when I am printing a document in Word.

HP Recommended

Try selecting print preview, and see if the extra blank page is shown. If so it means there is some sort of 'object' on that page for some reason. 

Here is an article about the blank page in Excel:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288968

007OHMSS

HP Recommended

This is not the problem. No blank page appears in print preview. No matter what document I print in excel I get the blank page 5 seconds after the print job is done.

HP Recommended

I am having the same exact experience -- a second (blank) page prints about 5 seconds after the page I print.

One point of interest, however... if I print 2 or more pages, I don't usually get the extra (blank) page at the completion of printing multiple pages.

HP Recommended

Is there an apparent delay in the printing of the main document, similar to the 5 second delay for the blank page? And, is this connected wirelessly?

007OHMSS

HP Recommended

There doesn't seem to be a delay in printing the first (original) document. The 8600 has always -- since first setting it up about 6 weeks ago -- taken about the same amount of time to print a document. It's not exactly a speedy process, compared to the Canon 1600 Image Writer laser printer I was used to, but it has been consistent.

I have the 8600 connected via USB cable on my Windows computer, and wireless on my Macbook Air laptop.

I just tried printing a one page pdf from my Mac laptop, and it did NOT print a second, blank page. Interesting.

I am using the freebie Word that came preinstalled on my new HP Windows computer. Perhaps I should install the full blooded version that also came with the computer I purchased from Costco (online).vI have the discs, so let me try installing the disc version of Word, and I'll get back to you on how that changes things, if any.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.