Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP-1170-uk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Can you please help me. I have never had problems with printers before. Seems this latest new bunch all singing and all dancing are more problem than they are worth. I installed the printer about a month ago. Couldn't print a thing. Then just a pure fluke I changed the document reader from adobe acrobat reader DC to PDF-Vista. Then it asked me what printer I wanted as default. Apparantly I have 2 printers in 1. One is its name 4500 envy series and the other is 4500 envy series (networking). I have to constantly change between two setting depending where I am printing from. I.e If i print from the web I have to go and select the networking version. and if I am printing from file i have to select the non networking. What a total waste of time and effort. Plug it in and print is what I expect. Not all this stupid changing modes. Never ever done this before. And this Eprint do I need it? Coz if not I want rid of it.I just want to print my docs. no frills . But I cannot print word documents. Why is this. Another stupid non-sensical hoop I must jump through to print?. In a nutshell I just want to select whatever file I need and press print and it prints. None of this hassle it is ridiculous. I even went in to the settingd and everything is pre-selected. I cant even change anything unless I print from PDF. So frustrated you can't imagine. I am just abut ready to launch the bloody thing out of the window. It is useless. If you can help without sending me on a wild goose chase I will be forever indebted.:smileylol:

Thanks and best wishes

zookz

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@zookeeperz

It is all too much and it should not be rocket science to get a simple print from a printer.

Right.

You might try the following; I know it is tedious, this may help -- it won't make it worse:

• Remove the all existing printer software from Programs and Features - there is help in the doc.
  • Restart everything -- there is a "restart it all" bit in the following doc.
  • After you boot the system, Install a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software from the printer Support pages.

Instructions and Help:

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

While you have your printer support pages open, find and download a copy of your User Guide.

========================================================================

As to the ePrint -- You only need ePrint if you want to send print jobs to your printer from mobile devices or from your computer if you happen to take it with you when you travel.  Mobile devices would include your iPhone (or other brand of mobile phone), your tablet, that sort of thing. 

ePrint is great if you want someone else to be able to be able to send your printer a photo -- family members, only please!  You control the "access list".

ePrints your printer to the Internet with its own email address.  You manage the printer connection to the email with an ePrint / HP Connected account.

It sounds more complicated that it is.

You do NOT have to use it.  You can ignore ePrint and it will never get connected by accident.

Information:

Add Device to Printer

I don't know what to say about the Adobe DC bit -- I switched over to it recently when I installed a new system -- that is what is avalable.  It seems to work OK; I am running Windows 8.1 and that could make all the difference along with the newer Windows Office 2013.  ??

You might have a problem with your Word template, too.  It is possible.

Check out the following -- Just in case, you know, just in case:

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

Scroll down to the section(s) on Word bits

I hope this helps.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!

And...Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

If you run Office programs with administrator rights, printing works fine. Bur off course other problems occure, like Windows search within Outlook is not working.

But for a print job exit Word, and start up with adm rights, do the print, and then exit word when done.

No need for removing av reinstalling driver, or turn off UAC or create a new user.

Just run MS Office program with admin rights.

HP Recommended

Hello . It has been a while since my last post. Did I cure my problem ? The short answer is no. I had to install drivers from a completely different model to get it to work. It is the most useless printer HP has ever made. It still doesn't work. No sooner had I installed the drivers and went through all the start up proceedures. I get a paper jam message even though there was no paper in the darn thing. So its been what a year now and the printer is sitting under the desk as it was when I unpacked it. I am done with technology it sux. 

I would like to thank all of you for your time, patiance and suggestions but pure and simply put the ENVY 4500 series is a train wreck and HP knew it. That is what gets me more than anything else. So seeing as Guy Fawkes has reached his destination he will be returning to the depths of hell +1 Printer :TongueOut:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.