Question

Top Student
bjhulse22
Message 1 of 9 (590 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wireless photosmart 6510 working fine but how do I now enable web services & eprint?

New wireless photosmart 6510 is working well with my home laptop (Windows 7) & router; how do I NOW enable web services & eprint? On intial installation I was short of time and I think the antivirus interfered and I did not get a printer email address. It said I could do this later - how? When I use the Web Services printer panel it tells me I'm not connected to the server.

Is there a neat easy way to add web services now without upsetting my wireless network settings?

Distinguished Professor
DevRao
Message 2 of 9 (587 Views)

Re: Wireless photosmart 6510 working fine but how do I now enable web services & eprint?

Hi,

Please check the following link to setup web services on your printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02881579&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-0...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
bjhulse22
Message 3 of 9 (581 Views)

Re: Wireless photosmart 6510 working fine but how do I now enable web services & eprint?

Yes I've looked at this but the status of my printer is ON a network (with my laptop and router) but with no active Internet connection or email address. Therefore when at 'Enable Web Services' Step One Number 3 and the printer is looking for product updates I just get told I don't have a connection to the server.
Master's Graduate
zack_hp
Message 4 of 9 (576 Views)

bjhulse22,

The steps below typically resolve the issue you’re experiencing:

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the back of your router (and modem, if separate from the router).

3. Wait 20 seconds, then plug the router (and modem, if applicable) back in.

4. Wait 30 seconds, then plug the printer back in and power it on.

5. Press the ePrint button on the printer's front panel, and it should try to connect to Web Services again.

Those steps usually resolve the issue, but if it still occurs you can try setting static network info for the printer (which sometimes helps to stabilize the printer's ability to get outside of your network, to the internet):

1. Print a Network Configuration Page from the printer's Network or Wireless menu. 

(Select the wireless icon, select "settings", select "Display Network Configuration", select "Print Info")

2. Open a Web browser and type the product IP address (from the Network Configuration Page) into the address line. The HP-Embedded Web Server (EWS) should open.

3. Click on the "Network" tab (in the top menu), then click on the "Networking" link (in the left-side menu), then click on the "Network Address (IP)" link.

4. Click on the small round button next to "Manual IP", then fill in the fields with the information from the Network Configuration Page (IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway).

5. Under "DNS Address Configuration", fill in the fields with the following:

-Preferred DNS: 8.8.8.8

-Alternate DNS: 8.8.4.4

6. Click the "Apply" button and the settings should update. Once the settings are successfully updated, power the printer off and then back on.

7. Try to enable Web Services again.

Let me know if you have any further issues, Thanks!!

If I have SOLVED your issue, please feel free to provide KUDOS and make sure you mark this thread as SOLUTION PROVIDED!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Top Student
bjhulse22
Message 5 of 9 (574 Views)

Thank you again for these detailed instructuions, but this is a new 6510 printer which has never had Web Services enabled and therefore doesn't have have an eprint button on the front touch panel. At the point in the installation where I was supposed to enable it I think I hit the wrong answer to a MAfee alert, therefore not allowing the HP installation to do wehat it needed.

I suspect I may have to go through the Wireless Network setup again - but before I do this, should I use the option in Settings / Wireless / Restore Network Defaults?  I just want the easiest most foolproof way to enable Web Services for the first time.

All the instructions so far onthe HP ePrint site and from your good self assume that it was set up initially and that now I want to restore the server connection. I never set up a server connection - only my home network.

Master's Graduate
zack_hp
Message 6 of 9 (572 Views)

When I say "ePrint" Button, it looks like a "target" with a piece of paper in front of it. It doesn't say "ePrint". Sorry for the confusion.

If I have SOLVED your issue, please feel free to provide KUDOS and make sure you mark this thread as SOLUTION PROVIDED!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Top Student
bjhulse22
Message 7 of 9 (545 Views)

Hi Zack,

SUCCESS!

Although your steps 1-5 did NOT work, your following instructions 1-7 about setting up static network information DID work! I have now successfully registered on eprint and have my account all setup (about to test remote printing from my smartphone).

Please tell me - does your solution have any implications I should be aware of for future use? Is there anything that is likely to upset these settings, e.g. should I be able to turn my printer off and on with no problem? If the server connection is lost again, should I just repeat these steps? e.g. check the IP address, enter manually, and use the Primary and Secondary DNS server info you gave me - which are different from those in the printout of my Network config. I would welcome any further advice before we close this down.

Many thanks!

Master's Graduate
zack_hp
Message 8 of 9 (531 Views)

The steps that I provided for you have been proven to work with no issues on the back end. You should be able to turn your printer off and back on again without an issue. I recommend leaving your printer turned on because HP's printers are designed to be left on for long periods of time. The power cord itself has a "surge protector" built in and the printer itself has an "energy saver" mode that will minimize the power used if left on for long periods of time. You should be good to go. If you do have any further issues feel free to check the settings that you adjusted to see if they have changed. The steps that I gave you will work for most any issue that you see as far as connection goes. Thanks again. You have a great day!

Student
vnjohnson
Message 9 of 9 (85 Views)

I am having the exact same problems here. I tried both sets of your answers above and I've also updated the firmware to no avail. I know this thread is a few years old, is there a new trick?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation