Question

Top Student
Asystole
Message 1 of 13 (4,387 Views)

ePrint to fax instead of ePrint to print

HP has laid the groundwork to provide for a mobile faxing solution.  As it stands, from my smart phone I can now attach a document, email it to my printer by way of HP's ePrint proxy service, and the document prints on my printer.  I rarely need to do this.

It would be a simple step to allow the attached document to be faxed from my printer (using the fax printer driver) instead of using the standard printer driver.  It appears that everything is in place to do this, just needs a little tweaking.  Brother already does what I'm suggesting on their higher-end laser jets.

Is it possible to do this with my 8500A 910n?  By doing this, HP could take a huge chunk of business away from companies like eFax, etc.

Grad Student
windrunner123
Message 2 of 13 (4,365 Views)

Re: ePrint to fax instead of ePrint to print

Hi Asystole,

This is definitely a great suggestion.

There are some feature named HP Digital Fax and Digital send in Officejet Pro 8500 A910n.

This is just a suggestion how you can possible use these features.

For Fax Archival, you can setup the Fax to email feature.

Basically, upon setting up, the black and white faxes received will be fowarded to the email address that you specified.

Unfortunately, this again still require a Fax telephone line.

As for digital send feature, you can use the Scan to email feature from the printer Color Display Panel.

Again, this would require you to configure the email address with the smtp settings, password, etc to make this work.

With this feature, you can scan the document and the printer will email these documents to the selected email address.

Unfortunately, this is a workflow that requires your interaction with the printer as it was not designed with the mobile device usage.

Thank you for your feedbacks.

I am an HP employee

**** Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution" ****
Top Student
Asystole
Message 3 of 13 (4,301 Views)

So you understand what I'm saying.  That's great.  I am aware and have set up the scan to email and scan to network store (on my NAS), and have set up so that an incoming fax get forwarded to me by email.

The great game changer that I am looking for is to be able to attach a document to an email like I would to ePrint it, but by adding a subject like "FAX: 954-555-1212" and the body of the email is  the text to put on the cover sheet, the printer faxes the attached document to the subject's phone number.

Further, having the subject line take different commands, like "Copies: 5" would instead print five copies of the attached document.

This should be doable as a software upgrade. Hell, I would even pay for this feature -- this printer would fly off the shelves, relaitively speaking, if this was advertised.

Honor Student
Yd_ese
Message 4 of 13 (4,151 Views)

The market is looking for a solution for ePrint fax. It seems that hp should take  care about it and provide a convinient solution. By doing so it seem obvious that hp AIO machines will be promoted highly, since lawyers, engineers and doctors are looking for such solution, as any small business. I hope hp  will provide this tweaking.

Student
SHAAS
Message 5 of 13 (3,881 Views)

Currently,  most company's that are using ePrint already have a eFax server; so with that said, why send an email to the printer to be faxed, when you can send an email directly to the fax server to fax it out.

Top Student
Asystole
Message 6 of 13 (3,875 Views)

Primarily because the majority of the world does not have their own eFax server.  Thus, this printer can provide this functionality for anyone who purchases it.

Student
jdmcs
Message 7 of 13 (3,019 Views)

I heartily concur.  Please allow print to eFax to activte the fax engine in the printer and send the fax as an alternative to printing the message sent to the printer.

jdmcs

Honor Student
raphilli
Message 8 of 13 (2,523 Views)

I heartilly agree with the previous posters. It would be wonderful to be able to fax directly from a remote computer. This would allow mobile workers to send faxes while they are out of the office.

Student
aklaren
Message 9 of 13 (1,747 Views)

I notice this still hasn't been added. I agree there should be no reason why I couldn't fax a file from ePrint app on my iPhone. I do have a workaround but it's not as fast as it would be if I were to fax directly from an app.  I use Log Me In (logmein.com) remote log  app  to control my computer and fax it from there.  if I were on an iPad or tablet of some sorts it would be easier, but i'm on an iPhone 4s. However, for now it's the only thing I could think of.  

Student
50is32base16
Message 10 of 13 (1,102 Views)

Hello - great suggestion.  I believe the industry standard for this situation is to use a Cloud Fax solution.  There are a number of these.  They do cost some $ - they are targetted for small and medium businesses.  These are solutions where you are assigned an email address.  You email to the email address and it sends an analog fax - as you mention, with some ways to specify what the recipient fax machine's phone number is.

As far as adding this to HP MFPs, I can see if that suggestion can be bubbled up internally.  There would be some security considerations (how do you make sure your MFP doesn't now become a fax server for the public?).

By the way, I work for HP.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation