Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

since I got my photosmart 6520 printer 12/02/2012 every night it tries to update Hewlett Packard Imaging NULL print HP photosmart 6520 series ....and it fails every time.  I have a HP P 7 1010 desktop and ever since I got new printer I have an exclaimation point on my computer and it says to troubleshoot and when you do it says it is doesn't have drivers and it shows NOT FIXED.  When you log off at night it tries to update the NULL print again and it fails every time.  I have talked to your service people numerous times for over an hour and they can not fix the problem.  PLEASE HELP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did some looking into the problem for another user, and it looks like this is just a ghost update.  Basically a "ghost update" is an update that was for the device, but the device has more recent drivers which causes the update to keep failing.  The only thing you can do is hide the update, or ignore it.  Windows will keep trying to push it, but your printer doesn't need it.  If it did need the update, it would install right.  You can find the thread where I helped the other user linked below.  Hope this helps.

I cannot update HP Imaging Null Point HP Desktop 3520 on laptop O/S Window 7 error 80070490

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

What all has tech support tried?  I don't want to have you do something they already suggested.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I have been having the same issues since Dec 12, 2012 as well.  I have tired just about every microsoft possible resolution for install error 80070490 and I am just about ready to dump my photosmart 6520 for another brand.  The time I spent trying to solve this problem isn't worth the $100 I paid for it.  

HP Recommended

I did some looking into the problem for another user, and it looks like this is just a ghost update.  Basically a "ghost update" is an update that was for the device, but the device has more recent drivers which causes the update to keep failing.  The only thing you can do is hide the update, or ignore it.  Windows will keep trying to push it, but your printer doesn't need it.  If it did need the update, it would install right.  You can find the thread where I helped the other user linked below.  Hope this helps.

I cannot update HP Imaging Null Point HP Desktop 3520 on laptop O/S Window 7 error 80070490

Signature
HP Recommended

Thank you!  It worked!

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Others have responded but I accept your version as I did indeed do a full installation from the CD when purchasing the printer.  I presume the update is an old one as I purchased the printer and updated it immediately.  

A ghost that just won't do away makes sense.  I just wish there was a way to tell Windows not to update my printer.  The printer has its own update utility.  Any suggestions on this one?

HP Recommended

How do I get rid of the update in Wondows 10. I can't find a way to hide the update. Does not seem to be an option.

HP Recommended

I asked a new question about this, use the uility from this page to hide updates on windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

HP Recommended

Your responses sent to me talk about problems with Windows 10.  My problem was with Windows 7  Does the utility work for Windows 7?

HP Recommended

This worked perfectly.  Thanks so much!!

Very easy for those who are Windows 10 challenged.  Now the Windows 8 and 8.1 phobia-ites have transferred their angst to Windows 10.  Give it a chance.  Read a little.  Experiement a little.  It's fun.  Change can be fun.  Oh yeah I still like my old original start page, yadda, yadda.  

BTW....I have solved so many of my tech problems (which usually are created by me) by simply google-ing or going on a forum.  Great fun.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.