Question

Honor Student
dupeelegal
Message 1 of 10 (1,884 Views)

how do i configue hp officejet pro 8600 to scan in black and white rather than color?

I would like to scan the docs as black and white docs rather than color.  How do I change that setting?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 10 (1,876 Views)

Re: how do i configue hp officejet pro 8600 to scan in black and white rather than color?

Open the Officejet 8600 software that was installed to work with this printer and select the Scan a Document or Photo option.  Once in this menu, one will be able to see the option on the right for Output Type.  One can click on the drop down and set the output to Black and White instead of color to perform the scan.

Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
dupeelegal
Message 3 of 10 (1,874 Views)

Re: how do i configue hp officejet pro 8600 to scan in black and white rather than color?

Unfortunately, I don't know which of the many HP icons on my desktop or in my start menu is the software that you are referring to.  I tried a couple of different icons, but none of them had the option that you listed.  Here are the ones that I tried:  "HP OfficeJet Pro 8600", "HP ePrint Center", and "HP Scan" (which was for the HP OfficeJet Pro).  None of those softwares had that options.  Confounding the problem is that I have an HP computer with another HP LaserJet printer and a HP flat bed scanner, so there are HP icons all over the place on my computer, and I can't tell which one is the software that you are referring to.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 10 (1,869 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just installed a Officejet Pro 8600 Premium CN577a.  I used the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4323652&task=...

The icon that it installed on my desktop looks like this image:

8600 Icon.JPG

I opened this software and was provided with this screen:

8600 software.JPG

After double clicking on Scan a Document or Photo this is the screen I was given:

scanoptions8600.JPG

On the right hand side of this menu is where the option for Output Type can be seen.  If this is not the screens you are finding, then you may need to reinstall the software for this printer.

If you need a link to the drivers for a different version of the 8600 let me know, because the premium was the model closest to me.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
dupeelegal
Message 5 of 10 (1,865 Views)

Thank you very much for those detailed instructions.  I found that screen, but that seems to just adjust the settings for a single scan.  I need to adjust them so that I can just walk up to the printer and always scan the docs in B&W with 300dpi.  I don't want to have to get out the laptop for every single scan and change the settings.  How can I change the settings permanently?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 10 (1,853 Views)

Unfortunately, dupeelegal, there isn't a way to set this as a permanent option.  You will have to either do the B&W scans through the software to be able to control the color versus B&W output.

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
dupeelegal
Message 7 of 10 (1,850 Views)

:smileysad:

I work in the legal profession and all the docs that we e-file with the court are supposed to be in B&W. (probably to keep the file size small since the court has to store all the docs on their servers).  Maybe HP could provide this option in a future softward update.  Please.

Honor Student
SirB
Message 8 of 10 (1,681 Views)

So disappointed with the scanning on this device, for example I just scanned 7 double-sided sheets in B&W at 200dpi.(If scanning in a compressed tif format ie G4 , this would tale approx 30KB per page so a total of 420KB). However, on this device pdf is enforced and it must be scanning using uncompressed TIF so the filesize is nearly 6MB!!! This is really unacceptable - why cant we scan using compressed TIF? Please advise or I may have to return this device.

Honor Student
SirB
Message 9 of 10 (1,680 Views)

Please ignore the above - I've just discovered the Everyday Scan settings....

Student
JR49504
Message 10 of 10 (1,235 Views)

I am really disappointed that I don't have the option of changing the default scan setting to black and white.   Color scans are so large that they are impossible to email.   Every time I scan ( 25+ ) times a day - I have to manually change it.  Quite a number of those times I forget and discover it when I send an email with attachments only to discover that the business on the other end did not receive the attachment because it was too large.  This is quite embarassing for me and my business.

I know that HP could fix this with a software upgrade at a cost to HP that would be the equivalent of 2 cents to myself and the rest of the owners of this machine.  I have always purchased HP products ( probably over $10,000 worth ).  After having situations like this with previous products where HP could have fixed it easily and cheaply, but didn't - I have finally realized that HP simply does not care if their customers buy their product or the competitors'.  So, I'll go with the competitors from now on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation