Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

just bought a cheep printer so i can print from my phone.and its a hp deskjet 2540 but every time i try to connect to it its asking for a password . i do not own a computer so i cannot install from cd .can anyone help me ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BUTTERZCJ411 ,

I see by your post that you need to reset the printer. I'd like to help you.

The only information I could find was to restore the network. This information was provided by the manual on page 6.

HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One series.

Press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same time, and then hold them for
5 seconds.

The printer also has Wireless Direct, I believe you can turn it on and off from the button on the printer's display.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi 111gringo111,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand when connecting to the printer from the Iphone it requires a password. I will be happy to help you.

When you connect to the printer using wireless direct it automatically is given a password. If you print a information page it will provide the password.

To print the information page, press and hold the Wireless Direct button for more than 3 seconds.

You can access the embedded web server for the printer by typing the IP address off the information page in the address bar of Internet Explorer's browser. You should have a option there to turn off the password for wireless direct. It should be listed under the networking tab, then on the left side of the screen.

I believe that this will provide a resolution to your issue. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

how do i reset my printer to factory defults, the embedded web server is asking for a pasword i forgot and i cant change my network setting or anything, i need this done asap the printer is usless to me without access to the settings 

HP Recommended

I have not a pasword. please send me a pasword or my Printer Hp 2540...

HP Recommended

Hi aley17,

Unfortunately, no one can send you a password. However, you can reset the network setting on the printer, this should clear out any passwords that have been setup on the printer.

To restore the network setting on the printer, press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the
printer control panel at the same time, and then hold them for 5 seconds. When you release, the defaults will be restored.

To then setup up the wireless connection again, review page #49 of the User Guide.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

You just have to press the Wireless Direct button which is just below the wireless button. Press and hold the wireless DIRECT button together with the cancel button (which is the X) for about 3 seconds, it will print out the "HOW TO CONNECT PAGE" and it will give the wireless password for your printer.

HP Recommended

How do you get the ip adress for hp deskjet 2540?

HP Recommended

Hello Candyone,

You can press the Wireless button and the Start Copy Black button at the same time, when released a page will print. Ensure you have 8.5x11 plain paper loaded.

To learn more, here is the User Guide for the printer. 🙂

Let me know if this helped.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am trying to use wireless direct with my smart phone. I printed the page successfully after pressing the WD button, but it did not provide a password. My phone shows the printer in the wireless network selection, but since I do not have a pasword, I cannot print from my phone. Grrr. What do I do now?

HP Recommended

Hi RMCPR,

Try restoring the network defaults on the printer, this should clear out all the current information and then the printed page should have the password.

To restore the defaults, press and Cancel and Wireless Direct button of 5 seconds. Once you release, the defaults should be back to factory. Enable Wireless Direct and print the page again.

Hope this helps, cheers.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.