Question

Student
shyla1
Message 1 of 10 (2,764 Views)

hp photosmart 7510 prints very slow

hp photosmart 7510 prints very slow.  how do I correct this problem.  I have a mac os lion 10..7

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 10 (2,741 Views)

Re: hp photosmart 7510 prints very slow

Hello shyla1

If you haven't already please check out this article. It may help fix your issue.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Student
rustach
Message 3 of 10 (2,661 Views)

I have the same problem printing to my brand new HP Photosmart 7510 printer from both of my Macs running MacOS X 10.7 over my wifi network running from my Apple Airport Extreme base station.

I can add the printer in the Print and Scan System Preferences pane but printing from any application either fails or takes forever.

Any suggestions?

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 10 (2,640 Views)

Hello rustach

Have you tried the article above? If not it will link to two articles. Please try the two articles below. They may help resolve your issue.

Slow Printing in Mac OS: Computer Issues

Slow Printing in Mac OS: Printer Issues

If you still have trouble please let me know also please perform a print job and use a stopwatch or clock to time how long it takes.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Top Student
csiddy
Message 5 of 10 (1,935 Views)

I have read the articles you posted and followed them step by step.  My Mac with OS X 10.7 still takes forever to print something.  Once the printing starts it prints a document quickly, but the wait time from when i click on print to the actual printing starting is extremely long.  I followed the HP articles right thru the uninstall and reinstall processes.

Would love some additional advice.  Thanks

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 10 (1,925 Views)

Hello csiddy

Exactly how long is it taking to print?

Time it from the time you actually press print, to the point it starts printing, and then how much longer it takes to print from the moment it actually starts to print? Is the printer connected over the network or by USB? Also what printer are you using?

Top Student
csiddy
Message 7 of 10 (1,902 Views)

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry for my delayed response - holidays.  I did some timing today.  It is taking between 1 min & 30 seconds to 1 min & 50 sec for printing to start.  Only takes about 3 seconds to print 1 page in fastdraft B/W.

I am running wireless.  The printer is a Photosmart 7515.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 8 of 10 (1,858 Views)

Hello csiddy

Sorry about my delayed response as well. For troubleshooting, have you tried to connect the printer directly to the computer with a USB cable? See if that speeds up the time it takes to print. The problem may be the network is not transmitting the print job fast enough.

Also you mention it takes 3 seconds on fast draft and black & white, what setting are you trying to print at normally?

Top Student
csiddy
Message 9 of 10 (1,854 Views)

We have tried the USB connection on 2 different occasions and there was no improvement.  I have my print dialog box set to print in fast draft b/w to conserve ink.   Could that be effecting the print speed?  It is really frustrating for it to be so slow.  by the way, this printer is also set up as the wireless printer for my son's Windows 7 computer and it prints very quickly for him!  Please help!

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 10 of 10 (1,810 Views)

Hello csiddy

Lets try resetting the Mac OSX printing system and see if that improves the printing speed. After resetting the printing system try printing at the default settings. Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system

To answer you other question, yes, setting the print quality to fast draft and B&W does affect print speed. However, fast draft should be the quickest setting along with B&W. If you would like, before resetting the printing system, try changing the quality to normal and/or greyscale and see if it improves in speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation