Question

Student
nidge1969
Message 1 of 11 (5,795 Views)

iPhone App printing to my printer?

Hi!

Am I missing something in the iPhone app? I want to configure it to print to my printer when I'm NOT on my home network... There doesn't seem to be a setting for this... Is "Enterprise Printing" required for something as simple as printing to your own printer?

Any help would be great!

thanks

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 11 (5,746 Views)

Re: iPhone App printing to my printer?

The following is from this webpage/links:  iPrint for iPhone
HP iPrint Photo leverages Apple's Bonjour technology to automatically identify HP wireless printers or other supported HP printers available on your network. You can only print to supported HP printers on a local wireless network.
007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
PhD Student
Praveen_David
Message 3 of 11 (5,681 Views)

I am assuming that you have an ePrint enabled printer. So with iPhone we can use it in 3 different ways for printing:

1) HP iPrint 3.0 - App from HP which needs to installed in your iPhone

2) AirPrint - Feature enabled if ur iOS 4.2 in iPhone

3) ePrint - Sending an email to print

To use any of the above or all 3 features, the printer should be connected in network.

First two features require the printer and iPhone to be connected to same local network and the 3rd feature is simply sending an email to print.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
Dalece
Message 4 of 11 (4,788 Views)

I have an HP Photosmart C4700 printer. It is connected to the Apple time capsule with an IP address configured to be able to scan to any computer through the Time Capsule.

So how can the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch be configured to print to the printer? it is not an ePrint printer.

Where is the print driver to install to print wirelessly over the local network? Without some kind of printer apps, there is no way to print DIRECTLY to a printer. A cloud solution is NOT an alternative.

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 5 of 11 (4,777 Views)

In your case you could use the HP Eprint Home and Biz app. It is available for FREE in the apple app store. Although it is called eprint, it does not require an eprint printer to be used. It will allow you to print as well as scan to certain models from within the app.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/smart-phones-handhelds-calculators/mobile-apps/app_details.html?ap...

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Dalece
Message 6 of 11 (4,768 Views)

Do I need to repeat my question or do you want to fully read it! I said  HP Photosmart C4700 printer

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 7 of 11 (4,766 Views)

" Although it is called eprint, it does not require an eprint printer to be used."

I did fully read the question and provided the answer. If you take a look at this link and go to photosmart at the bottom, your c4700 is indeed supported by this app. I know the naming of the app isn't exactly clear on what it does, but it can print over a local network, with most NON eprint printers from the last few years.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Honor Student
Dalece
Message 8 of 11 (4,758 Views)

How about fixing the iPrint App...ahh no it downloads as HP home&biz... so that needs fixed too.

Well, the directions are wrong, Example,  

1 - Open an email attachment such as a pdf by touching the attachment at the bottom of the email,
2 - While in the document to be printed, touch the "Open In,,," in the top right corner, May be this step is because I have two print appx - Fax Print Share and HP home&biz.
3 - Touch HP home&biz. There is no HP iPrint,
4 - Touch the magnifying glass icon. Well it is a pic with a person and a magnifying glass icon on the edge of the icon, It is at the bottom center of the screen, It is Print Preview, 
(The icon at bottom right is a file drawer save the document. Presumably it saves to the hidden documents folder which can be accessed using another app. And sure enough it did. Get out of email and open ePrint in HP home&biz folder. Touch the Documents folder. Ahh. The pdf is there. Then back to step 4 above.)
5 - At the bottom of the screen is the default printer. It is the same one set as default on my Mac. May be this is an indication the app needs to be downloaded in iPod, iPhone and synced via iTunes or downloaded in wireless range of my Mac.
6 - To the right at the bottom next to the default printer is an icon of a toolbox with a wrench hanging out on the right. (Not exaclty a wrench icon.)
7 - Touch the toolbox with wrench icon. The Settings menu appears with the default printer, paper size, and number of copies. To change the default printer touch it. A list of printers appears. It did also recognize my HP Laserjet 1300n offline and connected to Windoz PC using USB print share. Select the one you want. (I noticed all of them have a subheading under the printer name. For the Photosmart C4700 series (my default) the subheading is HP Photosmart C4700...P17 @MacbookPro17. Interesting-since I have 3 of those set up. It turns out I have one printer ending in "P17". It is the HP Photosmart C4700 USB MBP17@MacbookPro17.
HP Photosmart C4700 USB MBP17 - is the printer name (the USB attached printer on my MacBook Pro 17 (MPB17)
MacbookPro17 is the location. (attached to my MacbookPro)
8 - Touch paper size to change the paper size. (Mine does nothing, Could be because I have only one page and it is 8.5x11.)
9 - Touch copies and wait... it is slow. It brings up a number pad to enter the number of copies to print. Enter number of copies. Then wait... the number pad will go away. Does not appear to be any way to dismiss it other than the done box at the top which is when you are really done with the setup. Ahh.. don't worry about printing more than 10 copies. It will not let you.
10 - Touch Done at the top right to finish the setup of print settings.
11 - Touch Print at the bottom of the document to print it. Look on my Mac and the document is in the print que. (The printer is offline since I am away from home.). But the HP home&biz print app keeps grinding away trying to print instead of sending to the print que and say the document was sent and the printer is offline. Bummer! Must select cancel and the print job is wiiped out of the print que on the Mac. Very unMac like.
What the app did not recognize is all the HP printers
HP Colorjet C4005 - office network printer
HP Officejet 6300 - one connected and shared via USB on another Mac, one connected and share via USB on another Windoz PC
HP Officejet 6310 - connected and shared via USB on another Windoz PC
HP Photosmart 4700 Net Scan-Print - connected to a USB on time capsule via Bonjour with a local network IP address.
HP Photosmart C4700 Net - connected to USB on time capsule via Bonjour DNS tcp
HP 4000_NT4_Net - connected to a NT5 server and shared. (No Bonjour and no network IP. Connected via smb.
HP500C - connected to Windoz98SE and shared via smb
HP820C - connected to Windoz98SE and shared via smb
Bluetooth FAX modem on MacBookPro17
Internal FAX modem on Powerbook
This is why HP is a has been company.
HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 9 of 11 (4,750 Views)

USB to time capsule is likely what is causing the issue. Generally the app has to connect directly to the wireless printer. If you put the c4700 on the network itself then it should work fine.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Student
Mitch57
Message 10 of 11 (1,402 Views)

How do I set a up my ipad and iPhone to be able to print away from my eprint hp5510
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation