my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection" (51918 Views)
Honor Student
gerrie123
Message 1 of 60 (51,918 Views)
Accepted Solution

my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection?

Teacher
LostTech
Message 2 of 60 (51,902 Views)

Re: my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

Hello gerrie,

What i would do is Power cycle the printer and the router as well

-basically having them turned off for about 10-15 seconds

-and then powering back the router back on wait for all the lights to turn on completely

-and after that is back up and running i would turn the printer back on and re-establish the connection between the printer and the Wireless network

I am an HP employee.

__ if this Solution has helped Please Mark as Resolved and feel free to Provide a Kudos__
Student
kc2la
Message 3 of 60 (51,660 Views)

Re: my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

This happens to my wireless printer a lot.  yes, those steps work, but why must I go through them every time I want to print?  Is there no way to stabilize the connection?

Top Student
Goneal7
Message 4 of 60 (51,072 Views)

Seems like all HP's printers go offline a lot.

Mine does it everyday too.

All I can find is a lot of questions of WHY? Doesn't HP know the answer? Will someone post it please?

The power down option every **bleep** day is a bit tiresome.

I have Officejet 7410 and network defaults have been set, re-attach to network after powerdown, updated latest drivers, upgraded to a mega compatible wireless router, all the latest drivers, etc.........

give me a break HP.

I gave up on HP desktops a long time ago after multiple mother board failures on multiple models.

Please help before I give up on HP Printers too.

Thanks!   

Student
wbills5
Message 5 of 60 (50,848 Views)

kc2la wrote:

This happens to my wireless printer a lot.  yes, those steps work, but why must I go through them every time I want to print?  Is there no way to stabilize the connection?

Honor Student
1sweetpea
Message 6 of 60 (49,999 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too, have this problem.  To now, I can't get the printer to be recognized by the HP computer at all.  It says there is a driver missing so I downloaded again and still says 'offline'.  I uninstalled everything and started over and still 'offline'.   I've gone through this every single day that I wanted to print something.  It has been close to 4hrs. and I still don't have one document printed.  I tried to send an email to HP and that process is just maddening.  It is a great looking printer that just has too many cliches, now a dust collector.  Very disappointed in HP.  So today I cut my losses and bought a different make from another company.  So that is how I resolved this issue.

Honor Student
dobeylady
Message 7 of 60 (49,935 Views)

My printer (Officejet 6500A Plus-710n) has been doing the same thing, and even after taking the steps suggested, continues to go off-line. It almost always says I have to add the MAC address of the printer to the wireless router, but that has been done, and checked several time for validity, and the same thing happens continuoussly. I have the printer connected to 2 laptops and a PC. Does that have anything to do with it?

Student
treereetree
Message 8 of 60 (49,545 Views)

My p1102w worked just fine for months, after vacation it started turning off by itself. If I turn it on it will turn off again. I am at an office so our computers plug into a network wire I dont have a modem. I have tried powering it off and it dosent seem to matter.

I think something happened here but not sure how to fix it.

Honor Student
1sweetpea
Message 9 of 60 (49,403 Views)

I had three computers hooked up to my HP ePrinter and still it went offline whenever it wanted to.  It worked for the first few months, no problem, then everytime I went to use it it was 'offline'.  I had to start from the beginning each time, reinstalling drivers, router, etc.  So now, I check to see if it is offline before I use that printer.  The only way it works now is if I'm hooked up to it by printer cable, which defeats the purpose of a 'wireless' printer.  I even tried it again today and yes, it's 'offline'. So I can only say that it is just a bad printer.  If there is a solution I don't know about it. 

Honor Student
dobeylady
Message 10 of 60 (49,364 Views)

[ Edited ]

they ALL can't be bad printers...sounds like the "wireless" just isn't as wireless as they made it out to be...lol. I'm thinking about returning it for a different model. My husband has another HP model at his office...4, actually, and has not had any problems with them yet, and they are about 6 mos. old. Can't remember the exact model, but will post later if anyone is interested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation