Question
my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"
Replies (59)

Student
Mawyai
Message 11 of 60 (28,554 Views)

Re: my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

I agree completely.  I just want my laptop to be able to "talk" to the printer after I return home from a business trip. It seems that if I don't print something in the first 10 mins of booting up the laptop, the connection drops.  I have never setup up a home network to do this, just the intial setup of the wireless driver for my laptop.  Home is hardwired for network anyway so rebooting router for my internet connection does not seem like it should be any factor at all anyway.  It really really sucks that if I want to do any work at home I have to move equipment around to get a USB connection to my so called wireless printer.  I bought my J6400 specifically so I would not have to do this.

If it will work once in awhile, why won't it work all of the time?  I have even tried to separate laptops and they both have the exact same problem..

Honor Student
BG-support
Message 12 of 60 (28,250 Views)

Re: my wireless printer keeps going offline--how can I "stabilize" the connection"

Solution!!!

- I had the same problem. My printer shows as it is offline all the time.

- I noticed that somehow the "use printer offiline" is checked (i dont know why, it just does it automatically)

- when i uncheck it, it will print again

Start menu / Devices and Printers / double click on the printer (or click see whats printing) /  click Printer (on top menu bar) / than uncheck use printer offline

I hope this helps

Student
HP_Vaperware
Message 13 of 60 (28,188 Views)

What a Joke... Resetting router and printer doesn't work. Customer service never replys! Apple products DO NOT print to your HP PHOTOSMART PLUS wirelessly, period. False advertising. Looking for replacement from another manufacturer with software that works and customer service!
Student
jwhpuser02
Message 14 of 60 (27,924 Views)

This is not just HP either.. I work in a few schools and they have laptop trolleys with wireless printers from HP to Epson to Brother etc.. They are constantly going offline at random times, restart the printer/laptop and it works. I have tried sharing them via the server, setting staic IP & loads of other suggestions with no solution.

I can't find the answer anywhere.

Joe

Honor Student
Almufasa
Message 15 of 60 (27,494 Views)

I have an HP Photsomart Wireless and that keeps going offline and only a switch off an on will wake it up again.

I've trawled the internet in depth on numberous occasions but have not found a permanant fix.

Even the "setting the IP address to a static IP address" which I found on a few forums didn't work.

I'm resigned to switching off and on whenever this happens.

No point asking Microsoft - standard answer will be complete reinstall of my whole computer so I'm not going there!!

Student
jemard
Message 16 of 60 (27,369 Views)

I have the same problem with a client's HP P1102w wireless LaserJet. I found setting a static IP Address to be a two step procedure as follows:

1) Go to your printer's page let's say http://192.168.1.104 and click the "Manual IP" option then enter the Manual IP Address as 192.168.1.104, the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway etc. and save the information.

2) D-Link routers have a way of setting a static IP Address BUT my client's Linksys router cannot set a static IP (maybe other routers cannot either). To stop you router from dynamically assigning your printer's IP of the above example of 192.168.1.104 to some laptop that has just logged-on, change the "DHCP Starting IP Address" to start at: 192.168.1.120. That way your printer will keep its IP Address of 192.168.1.104 and all other computers will have IP Addresses of 192.168.1.120 and above.

I still have a problem with the HP P1102w printer not being "Enabled" periodically (that's a Linux term) but I think there is a conflict between the "Windows Computers" and "Linux Computers". I don't know why because for about 6 months everything operated as expected.

Top Student
Goneal7
Message 17 of 60 (27,014 Views)

The print queue status is displayed as "Offline" on a Windows Server 2003-based print server if SNMP is enabled and if the printer devices do not respond to SNMP commands

To work around this problem, disable SNMP on the printer port. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
  2. Right-click the printer, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Ports tab.
  4. Click Configure Port.
  5. Click to clear the SNMP Status Enabled check box, click OK, and then click Close.

I stubled upon this setting and the printer came back online when i unchecked the SNMP setting in the configuration settings of the printer port. Hope this is helpfull to all.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946198

Honor Student
Almufasa
Message 18 of 60 (27,005 Views)

My SNMP enabled was already unchecked - thanks for the idea any way.

Tutor
nicolemusa
Message 19 of 60 (26,570 Views)

I am this light flashing on the menu of the printer which says wireless and I do not know how to stop it please help

Student
sjsleuth
Message 20 of 60 (26,166 Views)

That worked thanks for the help....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation