Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

You missunderstood me. I know my report is huge, but it is worth reading because it would of answered your question.

The solution proposed by me is already tested and working at two different sites, one with a pc and one without. I will layout the site without any PC connected to the printer. I recommend you test this before posting another reply.

Equipment used:

- 1 wireless router without an active Internet connection. This works as a local server for the network. => OFFLINE Network

- 3 Android 4.0.4 tablets and one Android 4.2 connected to the OFFLINE Network

- the printer (HP Pro P1102w) connected only to the OFFLINE NETWORK using it's own wi-fi (no cables are attached to the printer except the power cord).

The tablets generate the pdfs. The pdfs are sent from the creating tablet via the wireless network to the printer:

- using HP ePRINT one page is sent and printed in 4 minutes and a few seconds.

- using PrintShare one page is sent in 10-15 seconds and printed in a total of 20 seconds.

Again, I feel the need to emphasize this: without any PC/laptop connected to the network or the printer and without any Internet access.

Get PrinterShare and test it. Come back with a reply. Good luck! 

HP Recommended

I understand your set up.  However I am trying to print to the HP 1102w from another location, not on the same network.  So unless PrinterShare can locate my printer on a remote network where there are no connected computers (I do have a fixed IP and Port Forwarding in place however) I don't see how it can help...

...please tell me if I am missing something! I'm quite tech savvy but no genius  🙂

HP Recommended

Ok, now I understand your issue.

I've tried using PrinterShare for a remote print and it seems it requires a pc/mac connected to the printer.

Your problem is finding an application that can connect directly to a printer by specifying it's IP address. PrinterShare seems to not do this directly, but from what I've seen I think DirectOffice Print does.

Search the Play (Google) Market for "DirectOffice Print" and try it. I can't get the trial version on Android 4.0.4 (the trial is available for Android 4.1+ I think, free of charge), but from the screenshots provided I see you can add a printer via:

"Printer settings" -> "Add printers" --> "Manual (Manual adding a printer using an IP address.)"

Note: The screenshot shows this options in Landscape mode.

I don't want to buy this app because I personally don't need it, but please try it and let me know how it works. I know it's a nobrainer, but I will say it anyway: make sure you and the printer are both connected to the Internet.

Give it a try and let me know if it works because I might need this too someday 🙂

HP Recommended

Further good and helpful response ...but I am not trying to print from an Android device!  3 devices are in play ...all Windows PCs running XP or Win7.

Is there any good software available that is equivalent to DirectOffice Print ..?

Thnaks

mark

HP Recommended

Hmm... Try to do it using only Windows.

I trust you know the printer IP address.

On a windows 7 machine click on the following:

Start --> Devices and Printers --> right-click somewhere in the window (on white-space) --> select "Add a printer"

A new window will open. In the new window select the following:

"Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"--> "The printer that I want isin't listed" ---> "Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname" (the third radio button) --> select device type "Autodetect" (if not, specify an option and try again), specify the IP address in the text field, fill in the port name as IP_x.x.x.x (!this might be important, please respect this convention) and check the "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use" option --> click on "Next" and follow the instructions.

I couldn't go any further with the setup process because I don't own a printer set up in this configuration.

For more details and an old windows example, see http://biochemistry.ucsf.edu/dept/it/Support/Windows/print_over_ip_pc.html

Another interesting article can be found here: http://wp.normalchaos.com/wordpress/archives/15

For more info just Google "remote printing using ip" or "print over ip address" and equivalent strings.

Other ways to do this are supported:

- without having an actual PC connected to the printer, you need to have a Google Cloud Print Ready Printer. You use a gmail account and configure the printer. When you send a file to be printed, it's sent to Google's servers, processed and then sent to your printer. The usual print job starts after about 10-20 seconds, but I haven't tested this. This time should be dependent on file size and Internet connections for both the PC and printer. For a complete list of Google Cloud Print Ready Printers: http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers.html#info-hp

- having a PC connected you will start to find 3rd party software. Even PrinterShare has this option.

As usual, send some feedback if successful or not 🙂

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  Insanely long print times via wireless, with instant printing via USB cable.  In my case, I was going Windows 7 Professionial over wireless network to the HP 1102w.

I downloaded the HP Print and Scan Doctor:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03275041

I ran it, it gave me the message that it fixed 2 issues, then after power cycling the printer all was well.

I hope this helps.

Jonathan Taylor

Securevideo.Com

http://www.securevideo.com

HP Recommended

I also have a very slow HP 1102w printer.  It prints fast as a local (wifi) printer, but very very slow as an ePrint printer.  I have never bothered to run it as a USB printer.  Running it as a Google cloudprint printer (as suggested a few days ago in a post on this forum)  does not help -- I suppose because Google's service is piggybacked on HP's ePrint service.

More specifically, I have registered the printer with HP as an ePrint printer, and then with Google as a cloud-ready cloudprinter (which requires the ePrint address of the printer.)  Although i could instead have created what Google calls a "classic" cloudprinter -- a procedure which does not require HP's ePrint service, but does require the printer to be connected to a PC that is up and running -- I prefer not to run that way because there are situations (most notably printing any document outside of a Google app) in which Google's cloudprint service simply fails when sending a job to a "classic" cloudprint printer.  Google's cloudprint service is, after all, more properly known as Google Cloudprint beta.

The content of the printed document is not really a factor here.  I am sending a ".txt" file containing only 20 plain alphabetic characters of text.

I have a half-dozen other HP "cloud ready" printers (model M401) which work very well both as ePrint printers and as Google cloudprint printers.  They all respond to print jobs within about 10 seconds.  I also have a second, somewhat older (about 2 months older) 1102w that does not take so long to print via ePrint.  I don't know why.  Maybe there is a firmware issue going on:  I had to apply a firmware update from HP in order to get EITHER printer even to register with the ePrint service at all, and maybe those updates did not generate the same result.

I am not impressed with the robustness of the HP ePrint service anyway.  I have registered at least one printer with ePrint that does not show up in my "hpconnected.com" list of "devices" even though I am able to use that printer via ePrint.

I bought the 1102w because it hasa a very small footprint, and because it is a standalone remote network-connected printer.  But I would not buy another one.  I suppose for $99 you can't expect too much.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Running 4x p1102w printers in the office set up on our wifi. The printers work well via usb and wifi after I click print it prints in 2 seconds. The problem comes when printing from eprint. Everything is configured fine and has been factory reset couple of times but the eprint is taking forever! one page 4-5minutes. When I send a pdf with 3 pages it takes 15minutes for it to print. The size of the pdf is below 200kb. This happens in all printers does not matter if sent from mobile device or computer. Firmware up to date, turned on and off eprint couple of times. Need help in this matter! 

HP Recommended

Seadoo, your experience is the same as many other people. The problem lies with HP's implementation of PDF handling/rendering which cannot differentiate between high quality, large size PDFs and simple documents like the ones that you and I want to print wirelessly via ePrint.  HP have been made aware of the problem via several threads but has failed to do anything about it. Of the four machines I brought 3 have been returned as "not doing what it says on the tin". The remaining device is used for local printing only.

I also brought multiple printers. Most have now been returned and only the local printers remain.

Strangely, I have another HP printer (deskjet 9600) at hoem which has absolutely no problem printing small PDF files via ePrint. I have tested the same file on both machines and cannot understand the difference.

HP ...are you listening?  Run your own tests and discover the problem ... PLEASE!  This device could be great ..but it's key selling points don't work!

MW

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've solved this issue by using another program to print my files on the Android tablets. The sollution is purely software and fixing ePrint should solve all the issues. I can't wait for HP to do it's job since only less than 0.1% of the customers will encounter this issue. 

From what I've tested, the best results are obtained from using the PrinterShare software from the Android Market. You can find this app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamixsoftware.printershare&hl=en

A print job takes as much as sending the data. This is the fastest way at the moment.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.