Question

Provost
WyreNut
Message 1 of 17 (8,921 Views)

Be sure to update the App Catalog ASAP!

Many of us received this email from the webOS team:

Mandatory webOS system update

A certificate used on webOS devices expires on July 23, 2013. For the system to be able to use cloud services such as Backup/Restore and App Catalog the certificate needs to be updated.

Beginning June 6th an automatic update to the Application Catalog has replaced the certificate. That means that if your device is running webOS “2.1” or greater you can have the certificate installed automatically by activating your device and accepting the update.

If your device is running a webOS version older than “2.1”, or you want to manually install, go to the HP App Catalog on your device and select the app called “App Catalog Update”, download and install it on your system.

To install the new certificate, download and install this application.

After July 23rd, 2013, it will be necessary to take special steps to install this update. Details will be available on the HP support site (http://email.hpwebosnewsletters.com/cgi-bin13/DM/t/hBkJC0bxLrj0PTn04Cpr0Ge)

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

webOS Team

I had no problems at all with the update, though others are reporting installation failures.  Here's what I did:

1. Open the App Catalog, search for the word "update".

2. "App Catalog Update" was the first hit in the list that appeard.  I clicked the "Free" button, and it downloaded.

3. Once downloaded, the "Launch" button appeared.  I clicked it, and the app ran and opened a new window that announced, "The update installed successfully".

If you run into problems, try restarting the TouchPad and try again.  I've installed this on two TouchPads, and a Pre3 without any problems!  :smileyhappy:

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Student
Nick280
Message 2 of 17 (8,882 Views)

Re: Be sure to update the App Catalog ASAP!

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if my app catalog was updated. Is there a way I can verifiy the update was applied? Was a new version number given to the updated app catalog?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Did further research and I found the answer:

1.     For TouchPad customers:

1. The user will receive an automatic notification that an update to App Catalog version 5.0.3500 is available.

b.     Tapping the notification will take the user to the Software Manager where the HP App Catalog update can be downloaded and installed.

Student
jpchugg
Message 3 of 17 (8,841 Views)

The update appeared to run without any problem on my pixi and says it has been installed, however, the version still reads 1.4.5.1 and now I cannot do anything that involves finding my location.  I can't even manually enter a zip code to look up things that are in the area.  I have done every type of reset possible short of wiping out everything on my phone.

Student
codeforcoffee
Message 4 of 17 (8,776 Views)

I made the mistake of trying to update the app catalog before changing the date back to July 1, 2013.  Now the app catalog is corrupt.  How do you update the app manually?  

Provost
WyreNut
Message 5 of 17 (8,771 Views)

jpchugg wrote:

The update appeared to run without any problem on my pixi and says it has been installed, however, the version still reads 1.4.5.1 and now I cannot do anything that involves finding my location.  I can't even manually enter a zip code to look up things that are in the area.  I have done every type of reset possible short of wiping out everything on my phone.

That sounds like the version of webOS on the phone.

The App Cat version on my Pre3 is showing as 2.1.100000, though the Pre3 has a newer version of webOS on it.

Not sure what happened to your phone.   :smileysad:   Do you have a lot of PreWare on it?

Might be time to run the webOS Doctor on it.

WyreNut

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Honor Student
gogirl143
Message 6 of 17 (8,711 Views)

this worked for my Veer, too

Student
mtdew1236
Message 7 of 17 (8,337 Views)

I followed the directions on how to trick my touchpad on what the date was, but it won't install...:smileysad:

Provost
WyreNut
Message 8 of 17 (8,334 Views)

mtdew1236 wrote:

I followed the directions on how to trick my touchpad on what the date was, but it won't install...:smileysad:

Even though you received this error message, have you tried accessing the App Catalog?

Over at webosnation.com, there are a lot of reports of "false negatives" with this update.

WyreNut

Distinguished Professor
smkranz
Message 9 of 17 (8,315 Views)

I seem to remember that I had to do the procedure twice on one of my devices.  For easy reference, here it is.  Before starting the procedure, I would also restart your device.

Installing the Updates after July 23rd

1. For users of ALL webOS devices:

1. Open the “Date & Time” app on your device.
  2. Set “Network Time” to Off.
  3. Set the date to July 1, 2013.
  4. Open the App Catalog
  5. Type “App Catalog Update” in the search filed, and select “Enter” on the keyboard.
  6. Tap the “App Catalog Update” app to display the details page.
  7. Tap “Download for Free” to download and install the app.
  8. Return to the “Date & Time” app.
  9. Set the date back to the current date.
  10. Set “Network Time” to On.

Note: Once the appropriate update is installed, the certificate is renewed even if the user later decides to reset the device (partial or full erase), or deletes any of the updates discussed here.

It is possible for users to install both an App Catalog update, and the “App Catalog Update” standalone app. Although not necessary and redundant, there is no harm in doing this.

_______
smkranz
I am a volunteer, and not an HP employee.
Palm OS ∙ webOS ∙ Android
Honor Student
roydk
Message 10 of 17 (7,922 Views)

Yea, I tried this, but I can't even get to the catalog to try this. I restored my tablet and as soon as it reboots, all of my apps all download but they all fail to install, including the app catalog so your fix is moot. This has bricked my tablet, NOW what ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation