Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@412Pirate wrote:

@WyreNut wrote:

I do believe it is within the realm of possibility to damage a port or cable by accident.  Nothing implied, just stating a truth.

WyreNut 

What about the possibility of these HP USB cables being damaged because we repeatedly followed HP's instructions, verses the correct instructions from this forum concerning "ejecting" the TP ???

Could you please link to these instructions that cause physical damage?  If incorrect, I'll bring it to the attention of some of the HP contacts I have.

I seriously doubt HP gave instructions that can cause damage to a port or cable (unless they state "yank the cord strongly at a 90 degree angle to the device as hard as you can!")  :smileywink:

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

That happend to me too. 😧

HP Recommended

I have this same issue as well. I can rotate it in circle while plugged in. Is this normal? Or should I make a ticket and get it warrantied?

HP Recommended

First, let me say (hopefully without bragging) that I am a design engineer.  I have participated in the design of many electronic devices.  IMHO the location and size of the proprietary mini USB port  on the TP is a  serious design flaw.  The mated connectors are inherently unstable primarily because of their size and lack of peripheral support.  I predict that all of us will ultimately have problems keeping this connected if not completely broken off.  The location is precarious at best.  It is VERY easily bumped even by the most careful of us.  My solution will  be to use the port only for USB connection to a computer and to unplug the cable whenever possible.  There are other charging options and I  suggest we all use them.

HP Recommended

@ram1009 wrote:

IMHO the location and size of the proprietary mini USB port  on the TP is a  serious design flaw. 

Actually, it not proprietary at all. Many electronic devices use this same connector and it is considered and industry standard. The location and whether it's the best spot or not is definitately debatable.

HP Recommended

I thought it was a mini USB  too until I tried several cables with mini USB connectors and they were all too big.  I suggest you do the same.  Whether it's proprietary or not is not the issue.  It is at the very least difficult to find if/when broken,and it will get broken.  I say again that this interface will fail on all TPs because it's just too wimpy.  The only issue is how long you can make it last.  If it's not a design flaw then it's planned obsolescence.  Take your pick.

HP Recommended
I'll choose option "C" - it's fine, and will last me a long time! 😉

I still have many old Palm devices lying around that are fully functional - 2 TX's, a zire72, Centro, Pre2, PrePlus, etc. I've heard from other "prognosticators" that spelled doom for said devices too, but they all work fine for me. The TouchPad charger fits several other devices in the house, even a Bluetooth earpiece from another manufacturer, so I agree that it's not proprietary...

Yes, I take care of my electronic toys, and try not to mishandle them. I feel that is the simple key to long life of a device.

I do enjoy using the touchstone to charge it, so in that respect I agree with the OP about other charging options!

WyreNut
-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

@ram1009 wrote:

I thought it was a mini USB  too until I tried several cables with mini USB connectors and they were all too big.  I suggest you do the same.  Whether it's proprietary or not is not the issue.  It is at the very least difficult to find if/when broken,and it will get broken.  I say again that this interface will fail on all TPs because it's just too wimpy.  The only issue is how long you can make it last.  If it's not a design flaw then it's planned obsolescence.  Take your pick.

Should've read your first post a little more carefully. You are correct in that mini-USB cables would be too big... and that's because it's a micro-USB port, not a mini.

I also agree with WyreNut... I've had just about every device Palm/HP has ever put out and I have NEVER had a problem with the port. 

HP Recommended

@Ridius wrote:

@ram1009 wrote:

Should've read your first post a little more carefully. You are correct in that mini-USB cables would be too big... and that's because it's a micro-USB port, not a mini.

I also agree with WyreNut... I've had just about every device Palm/HP has ever put out and I have NEVER had a problem with the port. 

If you say there's such a thing as a micro USB, I'll believe you.  Obviously I've never heard of it but there's too many connectors in the world to know them all.  The type of connector isn't the real issue here.  It's just too flimsy.  I can't see that interface surviving even a couple of moderate bumps that are bound to occur because of it's location.  Not to mention the fact that this thing is so slippery I have trouble even holding on to it.  I don't know why black  shiny finishes are in vogue.  They certainly are dysfunctional.  I will buy a cover just so I can hang onto the device.  I hope nobody thinks I'm wishing them bad luck, after all I'm in the same boat.  I just can't see that interface surviving the life of the product, or even close to it.

EDIT:I looked up USB on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB) and found there is indeed a micro USB (in fact two of them), however a chart indicates that no cables exist with micro on one end and standard on the other.  I infer that they mean commercially available since we know HP furnishes one with a TP.  Since HP has abandoned the product there seems little doubt they will eventually abandon the cable unless they have another use for it that I don't know about.  IMHO it would be prudent to buy a spare or two.

HP Recommended

Actually my Motorola phone uses micro-usb on one end and standard usb 2.0 on the other, Sony digital camera also has one, WD My Passport also. You can grab one here:

http://www.staples.com/Monster-Digital-Life-High-Performance-Micro-USB-High-Speed-5-ft/product_91239...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.