Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Touchpad can connect via USB to PC while Web-OS is running OK, but when I reboot the Touchpad into USB mode the PC recognises it as a "Palm" device but cannot load drivers and thereofre it does not appear in "My Computer".

Post relates to: HP TouchPad (WiFi)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Are you trying to run the webOS doctor?. Is this the first time, or has it worked before?

Here's my standard help file for doctoring a touchpad:

How to Doctor an HP TouchPad (reflash the ROM)

On your Touchpad be sure to have:

USB cable.
The battery is charged to at least 30%.

Computer:

Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista
Available USB port (not a hub or secondary port).
Java 1.5 or later is installed. If you are not sure about what version of Java you have, or even if Java is installed, go to www.java.com and click the Do I have Java? link to install the latest version of Java.
210MB of storage space.
Internet connection.

Miscellaneous Info:

The update process will take approximately 15 minutes.
During this process, your device will not be available for use.

Downloading webOS Doctor

Download webOS Doctor on your desktop computer. If you have a webOS profile, get it from http://ws.hpwebos.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm

If not, check the webOS Internals page: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Webos_Doctor_Versions

Get your TouchPad ready to update

Hold the Power Button for several seconds until a menu appears.
Tap Shut Down to completely power down your device.

Running webOS Doctor

Double-click the file that was downloaded to run webOS Doctor.
Follow the on screen directions up until you are asked to connect your device.
Select the language you selected on your device, and click Next.
Confirm your language choice.
Click Accept to accept the terms of use.
Click Next. webOS Doctor checks your system. BE PATIENT! I've seen this part take a few minutes to complete.
After webOS Doctor finishes checking your system, you will be asked to connect your device.

Connecting your device and finishing the webOS Doctor update

Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable. You must connect your device directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device.
Now the tricky part. Hold the Volume Up button on the device and insert the USB cable. After the large USB symbol appears on screen, let go of the Volume Up button. If you see the HP logo instead of the large USB symbol, you may have let go of the Volume Up button prematurely. If this occurred , wait until your device boots up, shut down your device and then repeat step 2.
Windows will find your device and may offer to install two different drivers.
When asked to install drivers of OMAP, select No, not at this time.
When asked to install drivers for Palm Novacom (bootie), select Yes and let the drivers install. This may take a while. Once the drivers have been installed, the Next button will become available in webOS Doctor.
Click Next.
Do not disconnect your device from the computer during the update process.
When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
Wait a few minutes for your device to reset.
You're done!

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are you trying to run the webOS doctor?. Is this the first time, or has it worked before?

Here's my standard help file for doctoring a touchpad:

How to Doctor an HP TouchPad (reflash the ROM)

On your Touchpad be sure to have:

USB cable.
The battery is charged to at least 30%.

Computer:

Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista
Available USB port (not a hub or secondary port).
Java 1.5 or later is installed. If you are not sure about what version of Java you have, or even if Java is installed, go to www.java.com and click the Do I have Java? link to install the latest version of Java.
210MB of storage space.
Internet connection.

Miscellaneous Info:

The update process will take approximately 15 minutes.
During this process, your device will not be available for use.

Downloading webOS Doctor

Download webOS Doctor on your desktop computer. If you have a webOS profile, get it from http://ws.hpwebos.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm

If not, check the webOS Internals page: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Webos_Doctor_Versions

Get your TouchPad ready to update

Hold the Power Button for several seconds until a menu appears.
Tap Shut Down to completely power down your device.

Running webOS Doctor

Double-click the file that was downloaded to run webOS Doctor.
Follow the on screen directions up until you are asked to connect your device.
Select the language you selected on your device, and click Next.
Confirm your language choice.
Click Accept to accept the terms of use.
Click Next. webOS Doctor checks your system. BE PATIENT! I've seen this part take a few minutes to complete.
After webOS Doctor finishes checking your system, you will be asked to connect your device.

Connecting your device and finishing the webOS Doctor update

Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable. You must connect your device directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device.
Now the tricky part. Hold the Volume Up button on the device and insert the USB cable. After the large USB symbol appears on screen, let go of the Volume Up button. If you see the HP logo instead of the large USB symbol, you may have let go of the Volume Up button prematurely. If this occurred , wait until your device boots up, shut down your device and then repeat step 2.
Windows will find your device and may offer to install two different drivers.
When asked to install drivers of OMAP, select No, not at this time.
When asked to install drivers for Palm Novacom (bootie), select Yes and let the drivers install. This may take a while. Once the drivers have been installed, the Next button will become available in webOS Doctor.
Click Next.
Do not disconnect your device from the computer during the update process.
When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
Wait a few minutes for your device to reset.
You're done!

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Wyrenut, thanks very much, that's fixed it.

HP Recommended
I've done this now 3 times. The reset works fine, but when the device reboots (automatically) I still cannot get past the Terms and Conditions. I enter my passcode for my wi-fi, and it connects. Then it tells me it can't continue, and to check suppor for help.
HP Recommended

i lost my usb connector i want to fill up my 25 gb with movies so i am using blackberry connector so any one pls help me which one can i use even i lost my charger when i shifted to india from us soooooooo pls help:womanlol:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.