Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i just purchased an hp tablet today from someone and i need to know how to restore it, they lost the manual and i have no idea how to get their old stuff off..

Post relates to: HP TouchPad (WiFi)

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

To reset the TouchPad to factory defaults, hold the Power, Center, and Volume Up buttons at the same time.  Release once the TouchPad starts the secure erase.

HP Recommended

I also need to do that and trying the three button power reset does nothing but turn the stupid thing off...

HP Recommended

i did the three bottons together then my tablet wouldnt start ! 

what's wrong ?

HP Recommended

Just did the 3 button reset and it said to hold it for 6 six seconds to perform the full erase.  It restarted and the screen was blank except the blinking HP logo in the center of the screen.  This will sit in that mode for about 3 minutes and you will see the default view which asks you what language you want to set up the tablet in.

I pressed/held the power button first, then press/held the volume button next, and finally pressed/held the center button until the prompt came up.  My mistake the first few times of see this was releasing the button to see what the message was and had to start all over again.  Needless to say, keep your fingers on the buttons until it reboots.

I hope this helps others.

HP Recommended

What is the "center" button?  Is that the Windows "button"?  I tried the Windows button with volume up and power and the tablet just loops between booting and powering off.

I did fix this a few months ago but I can't remember how except I restored the factory settings.  I think every Windows update creates the problem again.  This is for my friend's tablet.  She uses it once then the next time the same problem.  Very unreliable and currently useless.

I worked for HP Medical for 13.5 years (1982-1994) programming HP3000-based hospital information systems and embedded ultrasound systems.  We could not release software with this kind of defect.  Were is Bill and Dave!  ;-).

HP Recommended

@bassdeal wrote:

What is the "center" button?  Is that the Windows "button"?  I tried the Windows button with volume up and power and the tablet just loops between booting and powering off.

The HP TouchPad has no "Windows" button.  It does not run MicroSoft Windows.

It has a "Home" button, often referred to as the "center" button.  It is located in the center of one of the short sides of the tablet, and is the only button on the same plane as the display.

If the device you are holding has a button with the windows icon on it, then you are asking your question in the wrong area.  It's most likely a Windows tablet.

What are you seeing when it boots?

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I of course got it to restore to factory settings right after I posted.  I still don't know of the timing.  I seem to get get it by accident.

HP Recommended

I followed this instruction and the 6 second prompt appeared and then the unit switched off rather than rebooted and now the tablet has not switched back on - I ensured that it was fully charged befored undertaking the reset procedure.

Any ideas on how to get the tablet to switch on (I tried holding dow the power button for 10, 20 & 30 seconds to no avail)?

HP Recommended

I found the answer on another forum so thought it should be included here for reference: -

One of these should work (or at least it did for me)

* Hold down power button and press the home key button on the front of the touchpad 15 times in a row. then release power.

* Hold the power button along with the Home button and hold them together for 10-15 seconds. TouchPad will go in to a hard reset and will boot with the HP logo.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.