Question

Top Student
caroth
Message 1 of 392 (89 Views)

"install failed: not enough install space" error

I have a Palm Pre and am getting a "install failed: not enough install space" error when I try to install an app unless I remove one first.

The phone shows that I have 5.8GB of space left.

I'm guessing that this means there is a limit as to the number of apps that can be installed.

Does any one know of any way to increase the number of apps that can be installed?

If not I guess I'll kill some of the worthless Spring apps on there...

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Christian 

Post relates to: Pre p100eww (Sprint)

Post relates to: Pre p100eww (Sprint)

Professor
AlanG_1
Message 2 of 392 (89 Views)

Re: "install failed: not enough install space" error

Hello Christian and welcome to the Palm forums.

I only have a few of the beta applications loaded on my Pre and I haven't run into the problem that you are describing.  Have you tired restarting your phone?  You can do so by performing the following actions:

1. Launch the Device Info application and scroll to the bottom of the page.

2. Tap the Reset Options button.

3. Tap the Restart button.

Then go back to the App Catalog and try to reinstall the app that you want to load on your Pre.

Alan G

Top Student
caroth
Message 3 of 392 (89 Views)

Alan,

thanks for your quick response.

I've rebooted the phone numerous times. 

I looking at other forums, it appears Palm may have implemented a limit as to the number of applications that can be installed. The fact that I can install an app after uninstalling another tells me that this may be correct.

I'm trying to find out if that is true and if so, how this limit can be modified (surely there is a file that can be edited somewhere to increase that application limit - it is understood that this would be at my own risk and not be supported by Palm if any issues occur).

Assuming I didn't mis-count, I have 99 apps on the phone (between the Sprint apps, app catalog apps and homebrew apps), so it looks like 100 might be the cutoff.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. 

Christian 

Professor
AlanG_1
Message 4 of 392 (89 Views)

Interesting.  I only have the apps from Palm and Sprint and 8 other apps from the App Catalog.  I have not loaded any homebrew apps.  Let me check with some folks to see if there is in fact a limit on the number of apps that can be installed on the Pre.

Alan G

PhD Student
thetreoguy
Message 5 of 392 (89 Views)

Can you recall the last app you installed prior to this one giving the error?  Have you have tried installing a different app besides that problem one?  Do you have the 1.1.0 WebOS version installed on the Pre?  Were you using Our Palm App Store app to install this app or what it the hombrewed methods like FileCoaster or QuickInstall?  Thanks!
Message Edited by thetreoguy on 08-24-2009 12:25 PM
Top Student
flipflop784
Message 6 of 392 (89 Views)

I, too, am receiving the same error you are getting and allows me to install once I delete one.  Mine shows 5.9GB left.  I don't quite have 89 apps (between app store and homebrew).  Maybe it has to do with a limited amount of storage space allocated for apps and not the quantity of the apps itself. 

I hope that none of these is the case because it's silly to limit someone's capability on their own phone -especially with so much space left.  I can maybe accept if 0.5GB were left to limit installs to insure OS updates would fit, but not apps.

Top Student
caroth
Message 7 of 392 (89 Views)

I am at WebOS 1.1.0. The app itself does not matter, i.e. I can uninstall an app and after that, I can add another. When I get the error, it does not matter what app I tried to install, from where, or what method.

I can replicate the issue no matter how I try to install an app: 

• Through the official Palm store (developer mode on or off doesn't matter): I get an error "Sorry, Not Enough Memory. Please delete an application you have installed to make room"
  • Through FileCoaster: I get an error "install failed: not enough install space" error" 
  • Through the SDK "drop to install" method: a DOS window opens and it looks like it's installing the app, but it never shows on the phone, so the install seems to fail

I haven't tried installing the app through Novaterm, if it helps narrowing down the issue, please let me know and I'll give that a shot.

Based on Flipflop 84's comments, it seems like there seems to be a limited amount of space reserved for apps (since he has less apps than me and is getting the error) rather than the number of apps being the issue. 5.8GB of free space are somewhat worthless if I can't use the space for apps, so I'd like to allocate an additional Gig of that to apps.

So I guess the question has changed to "how do I increase the amount of space available on the Pre for installing apps?"

I would think that would be simple for the Linux Gurus out there that seem to be able to disect and analyze the WebOS down to the atom level, but surprisingly, I haven't been able to find any information on it (and I'm a Linux noob myself, so I'd have to clue where to start looking).

If you guys need me to try anything or need more information on anything, please let me know. 

I appreciate everyone's help with this!

Christian 

Top Student
caroth
Message 8 of 392 (89 Views)

Ugh, I just found a post in another website's forum talking about this issue.

What they are saying is the way the Pre is partiioned and that once certain partitions fill up past 90% it gives the not enough memory error.

They are talking about re-mapping things to a file, etc., but it's too heavy duty Linux for me to mess with.

For the adventurers amongst you with more Linux knowledge/more willingness to render your phone useless, here are two links to the other message board containing information about the problem and a "fix":

http://forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/194024-app-maxed-out.html#post1775510 

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-apps-software/192673-sorry-not-enough-memory.html#post1785568 

Thanks everyone who looked at this and tried to help me.

Christian 

Top Student
caroth
Message 9 of 392 (89 Views)

OK, I spoke too soon. 

Apparently there are multiple issues here. The space issue mentioned in my previous post (the /var directory filling up) is one issue .

I spoke to a Linux-knowledgeable friend that owns a Pre that tried the suggestions in the posts to make more space, but could only install a few more apps before getting the same error.

Since he vouched for the procedure, I figured a few more apps would be better than what I have now and I went through the procedure myself (basically you mount a file and store some of the data that's normally in /var in that file instead, thus freeing up space in /var) and was able to install five more apps before getting the same error again.

So apparently there is still a limit to the number of apps that can be installed

I currently have 45 "official" Palm apps installed (# of items in /usr/palm/applications) as well as 60 "homebrew" apps (# of items in /var/usr/palm/applications).

So back to the question of "how do I increase the number of apps I can install?" 

Alan/TheTreoGuy, please let me know if either of you was able to confirm any kind of limit as to the number of apps that can be installed and any way to increase that limit (unofficially, at my own risk of course).

Thanks! 

Message Edited by caroth on 08-24-2009 07:48 PM
Intern
mirsasha
Message 10 of 392 (89 Views)

I'm having this problem too. I have very few apps installed (all from the App Catalog) have done no mods and no hacking to the phone. I tried uninstalling the few apps I do have and now I can't reinstall them.

I went through and manually deleted the 4000+ emails in my trash folder (that took hours since there's no "empty trash" function) and deleted all my old SMSs and photos, etc. Still, no help. I've rebooted the phone numerous times and taken the battery out to make sure everything was reset.

And now, all of a sudden, Tweed no longer functions either. I'm afraid to delete it since I doubt I could reinstall it given the original problem. 

List of installed apps (besides the defaults that come on the phone):
AccuWeather

FlightView

NYTimes

Mileage Monitor

Tweed

Pandora

Deleted apps that I now can't reinstall:

Bubbles!

Flixter

Infopedia

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation