Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

EDITED to update info from HP regarding the cut-off date.  HP has announced that webOS Cloud Services will be continued until March 15, 2015.

=++

webOS Cloud Services to end January March 15, 2015

Cloud services support for webOS devices will be ending on January March 15, 2015. We appreciate our customer's loyalty the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS devices will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:

• Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
  • Backup or restore devices from the cloud
  • Setup new devices
  • Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:

• The HP App Catalog will stop supporting new app purchases on November 1, 2014
  • Updates may be posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
  • You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on January 15, 2015
  • You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of January 15, 2015

There will be additional reminders as the final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at
http://news.hpwebosnewsletters.com/cgi-bin13/DM/t/hBlrh0W8lqc0PwQ04W5N0Eu

Timeline

• 10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers
  • 11/1/14 New app purchases end
  • 11/10/14 App update submissions end
  • 1/15/15 Public shutdown of services

HP webOS Cloud Services

_____
Former HP Expert (Palm/webOS)
24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

This is inevitable though sad.  Will for instance Map still work after the cloud shutdown?  Are there any possible substitues for the WebOs cloud services?

HP Recommended

Maps should work because I think that is not related to HP Cloud services.

The biggest issue I see is restoring apps if you need to, such as if your device glitches out and you need to do a Full Erase.  There will be no Backup/Restore service available, so your purchased apps won't download.   It seems that other non-HP cloud sync issues should still work (e.g. Google, Yahoo, etc.) if you ever have to Doctor or restore a device from an erase.

I'm hoping that a webOS Internals (Preware) solution is developed.

This is the time for TouchPad owners to install Android on their tablets, and for all webOS users to install Preware.

And...sadly...consider migrating your phone data to new devices.

_____
HP Recommended

Thanks very much for reply.

Regarding HP toupads, I have an HP touchpad not used for a year or more.  When I took it out and tried to charge (for a few hours) the light on contorl button flashes but nothing happens and will not switch on.  Is the battery dead?  Can anything be done with it?

HP Recommended

So farewell to Palm and HP phones.  Two years ago I had a Pre3 - took 4 months to get going - a month to set up a profile, then three months of work to get the app catalog working.  Worked ok for a few months until the ear piece gave out.

I suddenly remembered, due to double ordering, I had another Pre 3 stashed awway in a drawer.  Thought I may as well power up and initialise before the support runs out.  Tried this, only to get a circle turning for ever on a blue sky background.  Tried hard reset, doesn't work.  Is it worth trying to reinstall the webOS, or just discard the device?

HP Recommended

You have nothing to lose, except your time.  

_____
HP Recommended

Thanks for informing the TouchPad community about the upcoming shutdown.  It would be nice if you make them aware of WebOS survival kit available here.  The WebOS Internals folks have been planning for the shutdown for a while and have created the survival kit to help folks work around the issues you have mentioned.  Here is the link and thanks!

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_Survival_Kit

HP Recommended

A WebOS Internals Preware solution has been developed here:  http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_Survival_Kit

HP Recommended

Having read the Published FAQ, a question remaining about the cloud services is: Can free apps be downloaded after the 1st of November 2014 until the 15th of January 2015? I'd guess the answer is yes...

Outside of cloud services, what will be the fate of support sites for webOS users and developers, for example, www.hpwebos.com, www.palm.com and it's subdomians? Will there also be any remaining support for users of older Palm devices running PalmOS and Windows Mobile?

What will be the fate of developer resources? Are there plans to close these sites and services?

I realise that these sites may have been placed under the control of LG electronics as part of the webOS sale. If this is the case, can you tell us who is best to contact with our queries at that organisation?

If these sites and resources are to be closed by HP, is there a planned date for this? Who would be the best choice at HP to contact about this?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@Happy_Person wrote:

Having read the Published FAQ, a question remaining about the cloud services is: Can free apps be downloaded after the 1st of November 2014 until the 15th of January 2015? I'd guess the answer is yes...

Outside of cloud services, what will be the fate of support sites for webOS users and developers, for example, www.hpwebos.com, www.palm.com and it's subdomians? Will there also be any remaining support for users of older Palm devices running PalmOS and Windows Mobile?

What will be the fate of developer resources? Are there plans to close these sites and services?

I realise that these sites may have been placed under the control of LG electronics as part of the webOS sale. If this is the case, can you tell us who is best to contact with our queries at that organisation?

If these sites and resources are to be closed by HP, is there a planned date for this? Who would be the best choice at HP to contact about this?

Thanks for your help.

Good questions.  We'll try to find some answers.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.