Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi

long story short I have an HP Z230 SFF workstation with an i5 4570 and I have to use my iGPU's encoding capabilities because my discrete GPU does not support any, so I accessed the BIOS and under advanced tab I activated Intel Integrated Graphics and set its dedicated VRAM and I have no idea why I did this, I also changed Primary VGA Adapter (not sure of the name) from my Nvidia GPU to Intel's HD graphics and as a result the iGPU is considered to be the primary adapter which means when I turn on my PC it gives me a blackscreen on my monitor which is connected to my discrete GPU until the PC boots into windows then I get a picture on my monitor, this obviously barred me from accessing the BIOS to revert the changes because I could not see what was happening. I did reset the BIOS and managed to access the advanced tab however I can no longer see the option to choose my discrete GPU as the primary adapter, it's gone! I can only enable or disable the integrated graphics and set its vram amount, if I keep it disabled obviously my discrete GPU become the primary adapter and my PC boots normally. the option was right below the integrated graphics toggle but it's gone. is it supposed to happen? if I connect a monitor to the motherboard and access the bios while the iGPU is enabled will the option reappear?

BIOS version: v01.62 6/10/2019

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Konntakdt,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

This is what I would do: remove your discrete graphics card, and follow the instructions as per the HP Z230 Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide, p. 112:

NonSequitur777_0-1715802184744.png

Your desktop should now be restored to its former glory.

Once you install a graphics card, your system should automatically switch from integrated to discrete graphics, no need to play with BIOS at all.

You mentioned that your discrete graphics card does not support graphics encoding capabilities.  Not knowing exactly what you mean by that, but I would suggest that you upgrade your (low profile) graphics card with a higher performing GPU to avoid having to switch between discrete and iGPU functionality.

With your 240-watt power supply, here are some graphics card options you should be able to power, make sure you go for a low-profile RX 550, RX 6400, GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1650, and the best (but most expensive) option of all, an RTX A2000.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.