Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 16 (877 Views)

Black texture after fusing scans

Product Name: SLS-3 HD
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm currently using the HP 3D Scan Pro 5 software with the David SLS-3 HD hardware. Everything works fine until I want to fuse the meshes.

When I only select few scans (4-5) the fusion process is successful. If I select more or even all of my scans, the fusion either causes the software to crash or produces a valid mesh, but without texture. The whole object is black. The fused object's surface looks fine if I hide the texture.

Flo

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 16 (854 Views)

Re: Black texture after fusing scans

I am not sure why the software is crashing. Possible problem could be large number of scans and not enough resources. If your texture is all black, you can try to export fused object in .OBJ format and texture will be in .PNG format. Change the resolution of .PNG texture file into 2048 x 2048 or 4096 x 4096 if you need bigger resolution and import your object into HP 3D Scanning software again. It should be shown correctly.

I am an HP Employee

**Views expressed are my own, no one else would say such drivel**
Top Student
Message 3 of 16 (841 Views)

Hello, I had problems of partially black textures with DAVID 3 and 4, and they were due to the AMD graphic card. No problem with Nvidia. You can also try to run the x86 version of David instead of the x64, i.e. the version for 32 bit operating systems.

I do have the problem of having completely black textures when I open a model that I took a year ago with DAVID 3 into a more updated version, but it is only a david problem. If you open the model in meshmixer, or meshlab, or open3dmod etc, the textures are fine Smiley Happy

Hope that helps a little...

Vito

Teacher
Message 4 of 16 (833 Views)

Hi Vito,

long time no see Smiley Happy Resizing textures would also be temporary workaround for you.

I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 5 of 16 (830 Views)

Follow up: David 4 still crashes for me when I try to fuse scans, especially a lot, but there are some unselected scans in the list. Maybe this can help?

Teacher
Message 6 of 16 (823 Views)

If you select all scans for fusion there will be no crash?

I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 7 of 16 (817 Views)

exactly

Teacher
Message 8 of 16 (808 Views)

Have you started separate topic about this? If not please do so. We are going off topic.

I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 9 of 16 (804 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks a lot for your help. I will try to resize the textures and to open the model in another software next week, when I have access to the computer concerned. Perhaps this workaround helps. I will let you know about it.

I encoutered crashs of Scan Pro also only when selecting only a subset of my scans. When all scans were selected, I didn't get any crashs.

Teacher
Message 10 of 16 (793 Views)

We will try to recreate this problem, as a temporary workaround you can save one copy of your project for archive (with all scans) and other one for fusion (contains only scans that will be fused).

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation