Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 9 (739 Views)

Calibration DAVID 3D scanner using Video Grabber

Product Name: DAVID 3D Scanner Pro. v4.5.3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm trying to calibrate the DAVID 3D sacanner pro v4.5.3 using a previously recorded video from the calibtation panel by using the Video Grabber function in SLS. However the calibtation fails every single time. The error message says "Could not detect enough markers of calibtation panels.", even though the green dots are visible once the video has been chosen. 

As I'm using a high speed camera, I can't use live scanning and need to prerecord the video.

I have changed the video settings, light exposure, image quality and size. Nothing seems to be working.

Can someone please help me with this? I'm at my wit's end   

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 9 (720 Views)

Re: Calibration DAVID 3D scanner using Video Grabber

Can you test normal calibration? If it is working try to make a vid and use it for test purpose.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Honor Student
Message 3 of 9 (707 Views)

Normal calibration as in using a live camera? Unfortunately the camera can't be operated in live mode. 

I converted one of my videos into an image sequence and used the image grabber function but there was another error saying the markers on one side could not be detected. 

Grad Student
Message 4 of 9 (704 Views)

Please check that angle between camera and panels is not too wide or too narrow.

I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 5 of 9 (656 Views)

[ Edited ]

The angle between camera and projector is about 20°.

I tried different methodes for calibration but all of them failed.

First I saved the calibration pattern sequence and saved the projection as seperate images. I then used the image grabber function to run the images as a sequence but the software fails to calibrate saying that there are not enough calibration points visible even though all the big cicrcles and most of the small dots are clearly visible. 

Then I  recorded a video from the projected calibration patterns and used video grabber to calibrate the scanner. The saftware starts calibrating and the bar which shows the calibration progress moves quite far but at the end I again get an error that says Projection calibration failed, could not find a valid mapping between measured points and model parameters.

Unfortunately the high speed camera is an IP camera using ethernet for connection to the computer and windows7 / the scanner can't access it and make live images.

Am I doning anything wrong here?

I have used different angles and different videos/ images to make sure the error isn't caused by a mistake.

Grad Student
Message 6 of 9 (644 Views)

Which projector are you using? Custom or original calibration panel?

I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 7 of 9 (634 Views)

I'm using a custom BenQ projector .

Grad Student
Message 8 of 9 (614 Views)

Original HP or DAVID calibration panels?

I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 9 of 9 (608 Views)

Yes, I'm using the original calibration panels. The two outer sides of the panels are closest to the camera and the middle of the panel is farthest away.

Does the pre recorded video have to have specific characteristics? For a example a certain length and/or fps?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation