Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 5 (969 Views)

Calibration: how do you expect to find targets if you don't at least present a few patterns?

Product Name: david 3d v5.2.0.790
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Look, simple things you guys at HP are breaking now.

This is really starting to become a common thing. Every time I walk up to my setup I cringe knowing that you folks likely broke the code again or screwed up a UI or something else and will get a blue screen at some point during my scanning.  I am fully embarrassed right now at the amount of money I spent on this system and the lack of stability it exhibits that has caused me to look like a fool on too many occasions. 

David V5? Tired of being beta testers for a program that was an alpha. Since HP has had this software I have found it to be more and more unstable and unusable even under the best of circumstances.  Its no longer stable enough for me to rely upon. Tired of blue screens, screwed up workflows, wacky UI changes, and a host of bizzare troubleshooting I have to do every time I used it. We are now confronted with a calibration error that was fixed in David 4. Why?

Going back to David 4, the last stable release.  

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 5 (938 Views)

Re: Calibration: how do you expect to find targets if you don't at least present a few patterns?

Hello,

can you please give us some more details, OS? computer? gfx card? Are you able to recreate a problem? Can you give us instructions at which point you get BSoD? I was using V5 software a lot, so far 0 crashes, 0 BSoD it hangs rarely, but I was not able to recreate the problem, so I can´t say is it scanning sftware or Windows. My recommendation switch off any antivirus software and Win updates, you can update Windows manually when you have time.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member

**Views expressed are my own**
Top Student
Message 3 of 5 (928 Views)

Re: Calibration: how do you expect to find targets if you don't at least present a few patterns?

Well, it randomly loses camera connectivity

It fails calibration most times, but, thereafter, it doesn't even attempt to calibrate, it simply pops up again with "Calibration failed" and the only way for it to properly again attempt to calibrate requires me to shut down the program, disconnect the cameras, then restart the program. If I restart the program more than a few times in attempting to get a decent calibration, it BSODs. 

Are they related? Perhaps. However, when I switch back to David 4 it moves right along. I have attempted to reinstall David 5 and it didn't change the situation. 

Now, I DO know these latest Nvidia drivers are horrible garbage. Could be related. Its bad as often as Nvidia drivers are updated that about 70 percent of them have severe bugs. However, I can't really see this as likely since it gets through with DAvid 4 just fine? Unless David 4 handles the video and usb drivers drastically different? 

Top Student
Message 4 of 5 (913 Views)

loss of conectivity with the camera, yeah happens a couple times every few days. BSOD, no, i never had that with Version 5. Crashes are much less than previous versions, I've noticed most crashes happen right after i click on finish sequence after taking scan shots, other than that, it crashes much less than previous 5 build. 

if you get BSODs, look elsewhere, there must be a driver issue with your system.

Grad Student
Message 5 of 5 (879 Views)

[ Edited ]

Conectivity problem is a problem of USB bandwidth. Some USB controllers are having hard time with video equipment. If the camera does not have enough USB badnwidth to deliver proper picture it will disconnect. Try to use USB ports on different side of your laptop (connect 1 cam on the left and other on the right side of your laptop), minimize all background processes, use short high quality USB cables, disconnect all other USB devices, use original manufacturer drivers instead of generic, keep your OS, drivers and scanning software up to date, use "high performance" power plan, use power adapter with laptop during scanning... Extreme measures - limit frame rate in the Scanning Software "Set up" menu, buy additional USB controller... This are some tips how can you solve this problem. My recommendation is to have computer just for scanning or at least dual boot, one OS for scanning and other for everything else.

If you have a problem with "finish sequence" can you please send more details, so we can try to recreate it?

If problem is succesfully recreated then we can try to make fix for it.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member

**Views expressed are my own**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation